Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Alex Malan

Hi everyone! I'm a mostly-self-taught artist and I'm trying to learn as much as I can to give myself the best possible chance in the games industry. I especially like making and texturing props, although I'm trying to figure out environment art as well.

I have a terrible habit of starting projects and then not finishing them, so I'm really hoping that this virtual sketchbook will help me stay motivated and see each one through to the end. Any critique is appreciated and I would love to hear any tips and tricks from more experienced artists!

Replies

• al_exe

This is the very first wood sculpt I've done, and I'm looking for some feedback on it. I was aiming for a rustic, kind of weathered look that you might find on a farm or holding up a saloon porch. I'm definitely not trying to achieve photorealism, but rather the kind of somewhat stylised look that Ubisoft got with the new game Skull & Bones.
    This beam is part of a wild west themed modular kit I'm building, with the hope of making some money off it when it's all finished. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Looking good so far! Take this first one to completion as a game-ready asset, before sculpting more pieces, it will help you refine the process & nail down the style. Keep going!