Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ryan Jessop Final Major Project - ARC Troopers

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Ryan_JJ triangle
Hello all,

This is my progression thread where I will be sharing the work of my final major project at University. I study Masters in Games Art & Design with a previous background in Architecture. This project is aimed to showcase a concise variety of technical skills based on a game concept I developed within the Star Wars Clone Wars time period. 

Link to my Pre-Production pack: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/ryan-jessop_ryan-jessop-final-major-project-pre-production-activity-7196839091974406146-vfG3?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

My submission is August 21st 2024, but I intend to keep on pushing this project further afterwards in my spare time.

Hope you all enjoy!

Replies

• Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle
    A sample of my Pre-Production planning to give you an idea of my concept and what I am looking to create.
  • Ryan_JJ
  • Ryan_JJ
  • Ryan_JJ
  • Ryan_JJ
  • Ryan_JJ
  • Ryan_JJ
  • Ryan_JJ
  • Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle
    Hey all who are reading, just thought I'd share some work for my first tasks this week.

From yesterday (Monday) I have been working on Modelling the LAAT Gunship. I have used this image reference to help get the proportions right. This modelling & texture task is designed (by me) to get myself warmed up and back into the swing of things.

This is what I acheived by this morning:

I took it to my class tutorial today and was given commendation for it's accuracy and looks. But I was slated by the dense topology as this was suppsoed to be the Low-Poly... (I got carried away).

Since I've been home, it's taken me barely any time at all tp produce a new model:

This is far more efficient as because I'd already gotten used to the geometry, curves, bends etc, I knew where I to put my loop cuts more efficiently. This is with 1 level of sub-division using the 'subdivison' modifier.

More to come soon :)
  • Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle

The wings are on! While very simple to do, it drastically helps visualise the scale and proportions
  • Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle

I'd been dreading this part of the build and I was in split minds on the method to model this.

Do I refine the edge by adding more loop cuts and make the model higher poly?
    Or do I do a Boolean difference and suffer the affects of N-gons?

I asked my class mates on our discord (a really brilliant group and I'm very lucking to be on this journey with them) and a few pro's told me I could just mark the edges as a crease which would stop the edge shading as smooth curve and shade as a sharp edges instead. 

(I'm still learning modelling techniques if you can't tell...)
  • Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle

This is the result and I think it looks pretty good! Easy to refine as well if need be...
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bad news, and I assume your teachers will tell you the same: This still isn't 'lowpoly'. Anything you use a Subdivision modifier on is a subdivision mesh.
    I'd block it out in a very simplistic way, and then bevel (with a modifier, preferably) any edges that need it. You can use your highpoly mesh as reference, but a lowpoly never has holding edges intended for a subdivision process.
    Note that, even for a highpoly, those edges going all along the entire mesh will make it harder to work with too, you'll want to terminate before.
  • Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle
    Understood but it's suitable for use for now. This is my first time modelling any type of vehicle so it wont be anywhere near up to industry standard xD. Definitely a huge improvement over my earlier models!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    hey, really cool project, awesome to see the learning process

just adding on to what michael has said, a few tips to make modeling go a little easier: 

you only need edges to define the silhouette. It can help to use flat shading in the viewport so that the only thing you can see is the silhouette. Orbit around the model and so long as silhouette is good, you have edges where you need them. Then you can delete any edges which aren't holding the silhouette. While working on the big shapes, it's okay to have it not quite as smooth as the reference. So long as you have the extremities defined, you can easily add edge loops in and have the computer interopolate to smooth it out later.
    The benefit of working this way is that you can very easily adjust the shape because only a few vertices to move. So if you realize the proportions are a little off, you can fix that easily.

It helps a lot, especially as a beginner, to limit the size of your problem space. So rather than trying to solve two problems at the same time, only focus on one. So I'd suggest to focus only on the shapes of the models and not worry about shading yet. If you have a low poly model it is very quick and painless to modify in the future, should you need to add an edge here or there or change an edges normals (smoothing). 

One of the biggest things that will make topology problems go away is to construct the thing in pieces rather than one seamless mesh. Usually the same way it may be constructed in real life. In real life you'd imagine there is a chassis and then panels on top of that. It's not one contiguous panel.

For example, the ball socket joint panel on the nose which houses the weapon - this doesn't need to be connected to the main body panels. You can see a seam in the reference, suggesting it's a separate piece. 
    The benefit you gain if you model it separate is that you can have different topology and not have to think about how to join it. 

If you are eager to see what the final thing may look like and get a better handle on the entire process, it may be worthwhile to take just a single component of the entire ship - like say the weapon turret - and take that to completion in isolation. Then everything you learned will improve the process for finishing the rest of the ship.

• Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle
    Thank you very much for your comments Alex (and by extension, Michael). I totally understand what you mean. The reality is, this is my first time modelling something like this with such curvature and so as I began modelling the main body of it, I made some destructive mistakes (i.e adding too many loop cuts where they were not needed). As I progressed through, I started to realise that I could have done different parts more efficiently. However, as I am against time for this project, I cannot go back and redo it at this stage.

What I intend to do is take your comments and tips forward for future modelling parts of this project. And if I have time at the end, I'll come back and re do this.

I have found that redoing the modelling becomes quicker and quicker and becomes more and more efficient each time so (fingers crossed) the next time I do this and come back to it, it wall be a quick process.

re: the ball turrets, yes I agree and I have modelled them as completely different meshes, same as the wings and the rockets/thrusters on top.

But the main body chassis I think really has to be 1 solid piece with added details later down the line.

For the purpose of my assignment, this will main serve as a static prop and will be put into UE5. So worst case scenario, I'll rely on nanite to help curb performance tanking in engine. 
  • Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle
    I really needed to get on with other bits of the project but I really couldnt help myself, I had to see if I could do this mesh better (yet again) using the ways you mentioned. Here's what I've done in about 10 mins!

• Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle
    I'm stunned by how quick I was able to do this considering the amoujtn of time I had spent on the previous version. Lesson has definitly been learnt!

However, in the interest of progress and my time planning, I will be taking the previous model version forward within development. While this new retopped version is looking great, it needs refinement whihc I don't quite have the time for just yet. As mentioned previously, I will come back to this when I have a spare window of time.

Thaks again for your input guys! Hope to speak with you both again later into production on other bits n bobs
     :)
  • Ryan_JJ
  • Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle
    Going against what I had said before, I decided to jsut go for it and retop the main body of the model again. I've kept it pretty efficent this time around (I hope you all agree) 

The thrusters/rockets on top i'll redo. But what I have found interesting is doing the boolean difference modifier operation for the main side doors adds a lot more faces...

So I'm considering  not doing a boolean difference operation and going through the pain of cut out the doors with the knife tool. However I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the doors to match up to the curvature and geometry perfectly to the rest of the ship if I do so.

decisions decisons....
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I would stop with the long thin strips, go for more square poly/even distribution. think about the silhouette and try to be minimal in capturing the
    look. think about the wasted loops where nothing is defined adding extra lengthways loops
  • Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle
    Ruz said:
    I would stop with the long thin strips, go for more square poly/even distribution. think about the silhouette and try to be minimal in capturing the
    look. think about the wasted loops where nothing is defined adding extra lengthways loops
    Thank you for your advice, Ruz. I have tried to get it as 'blocky' and basic as I can so far. But I think I'm just not quite there with my skills to be making stellar efficent models. I am pushing myself to be better, and with everyones input here, I have improved it a decent amount already which is great. 

I am curious though as to how many faces/tris to ball park for the model? I took some inspiration from your CG Trader vehicles which are super efficent. The main body/chasis is the main focus currently as it makes up the majoirity of the ship, and its curvature is tricky to get right as some of the changes in shape are very subtle (hence why it may appear im added unnecessary details nad loop cuts)

With the sub-div modifier off, the main body is 370 faces / 727 tris but obviously looks quite blocky and sharp.

With the sub-div modifier on the main body is 2,715 faces / 5644 tris. 

With the sub-div modifier and the solidify modifier on the main body is 5,430 faces / 11,276 tris. 

• Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle
    Quick WIP update...

I've remodel this thing about 5...maybe 6 times now? Obviously this isnt sustainable but all part of the learning process I guess. I've managed to get the doors cut-out WITHOUT doing a boolean difference which I did not think I'd be able to achieve. But over the past week I've become gradaully more skilled (still not a pro but better than beginner at least?) so I've been able to cut out the doors instead rather than do a boolean differecne and have to tidy up a shit load of n-gons...

Here's where I'm at now...

34k tris for low-poly. This is with a shelled interior, but no details but in yet (over head handle bars, door hinges, greeblings etc) And I still need to model the cockpit.
    Doors look a bit more dense in poly's compared to the rest of the ship, but this was necessary to get the windows cut out whilst retaining the exact form of the ship. And my tri count is pretty efficent I feel like so I can afford this?
    Nose of the ship is more dense also. Again, this was sort of necessary to get the front ball cannon sockets to recess as I wanted.

Hoping to get this all finsihed up and UV unwrapped tonight to take to class tomorrow. 

I am a few days behind schedule as tomorrow I was suppsoed to be finished with texturing. 

I'll be making some adjustments to my time planning later in the week...

High poly (2 sub-div levels currently).. 90k tris

• Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle
    Another update...

Very closed to finishing all exterior modelling. I will not be modelling interior ar this stage. But If I have time at the end, I will do so...

Anyways...

Low Poly model is 34k tris

High Poly model (2 sub divs. Will most likely do 3 or 4 when I export for baking) is  280k tris.

Hopefully this is good enough to work with and bakes well! 

Just need to model some very small details on top. A little mechanism that loads rockets into the launchers.

After that, my tutor recommended I use UDIM's for this to UV unwrap and texture. Will be looking into this tonight.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is this is intended for games? 

If so, I might ask around a bit about UDIMs. I thought that was something only used in film (or at least not games). To finish the assignment probably best to just do whatever teacher wants but if trying to get a job in games it's going to be good to know what workflows work and won't for games. If you will render this in a game engine you probably ought to do a test to double check that your UV/UDIM workflow will work in the engine.
  • Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle
    Alex_J said:
    is this is intended for games? 

If so, I might ask around a bit about UDIMs. I thought that was something only used in film (or at least not games). To finish the assignment probably best to just do whatever teacher wants but if trying to get a job in games it's going to be good to know what workflows work and won't for games. If you will render this in a game engine you probably ought to do a test to double check that your UV/UDIM workflow will work in the engine.
    Good point. So the use is sort of both... I wanted to do the Low/High Poly workflow as a portfolio piece to prove I can do that. The use of the ship will be seen up-close in game but may also be used in cinematic/show reel content. And I was recommended to follow a UDIM workflow by my tutor. I wanted to follow-up on that before commiting but he wasn't in today unfortunatly. I'll ask some class mates though and gauge opinions before fully committing.
  • Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle
    Had my head down the past few days but am happy to share some progress... 

High Poly mesh has been baked onto Low Poly mesh pretty well. I have decided to use a single UV tile and not go for the UDIM route.

• Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle
    Current bake with a quick smart material slapped on:

I was hoping to have this all textured by now but I ended up redoing the modelling (a lot) more than I first anticipated. All part of the learning process at the end of the day but I will definitly need to make up for lost time somewhere.

I've also taken a look into Anchor points, decals, stamps, stenciles, overlay filters and decals to better my Substance knowledge and workflow. I feel a bit more better equiped in going into texturing this now. But I am a bit stuck on how I will do the 'panelling' look on the main body and wings as seen in the image below

• Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle
    Quick update. I'm still a bit stumped on how I will make the lines/panelling look in the image above ^^

But I have pressed onto texturing regardless to keep the ball rolling...

Was a lot of in and out of baking and remodelling to get the High poly mesh as close as possible to the low poly mesh. I now have in a state which I am happy with. 

I have also taken some time to learn about anchor points and have used them to create some hull damage. Below is an example and is subject to change...

What I am trying to acheive here is a texture/material build up. Bottom layer is a sort of sci-fi circuit board texture. In the middle is a metal material and above that is the main paint layer. 

What I am trying to aim for is to paint on a paint layer (with anchor point) and to then manually pain in areas where the ship has sustained damage. Some worse areas in others. Some as just scrathes where the paint has come off and other areas are worse which destroy the metal and expose the mechanical componments and circuitry inside. 

I used these tutorials to acheive this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9mLZQKxPSo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvavIvIm9sE

As I say, still playing about with it, and the chosen materials and textures can be easily replaced and subbed out without losing my damage placement.

If anyone has any suggestions on the panelling PLEASE speak up!!

Thanks everyone :)
  • Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm not much of a hard surface modeler, but my first hunch for the panels might be to model them and bake them as floaters. I think that would just be simpler to do rather than try to paint it in texturing. And if you bake it you can get curvature maps and so on which can give you more flexibility in texturing. 
    you might do a forum search for "panels"  and similar terms, probably a lot of historical examples floating around might give some ideas as well
  • Ryan_JJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_JJ triangle
    Alex_J said:
    i'm not much of a hard surface modeler, but my first hunch for the panels might be to model them and bake them as floaters. I think that would just be simpler to do rather than try to paint it in texturing. And if you bake it you can get curvature maps and so on which can give you more flexibility in texturing. 
    you might do a forum search for "panels"  and similar terms, probably a lot of historical examples floating around might give some ideas as well
    Thanks Alex, I'll start searching the forums now. 

Could you also elaborate on what you mena by 'bake them as floaters' ?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On link below page, press ctrl+F and then search "Panel", at least one example there

Subdivision Surface Modeling - polycount
    also check google as well if needing some more step by step for the baking process, looks like one good tutorial here: 
    ArtStation - Understanding High Poly Floaters for Baking Details