Home General Discussion

How to plan cliff packs for game environments? Any good references or breakdowns for other games?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
As an environment artist in games this is something that always stumps me: how to plan and structure an asset pack of modular cliffs for big environments (specifically environments with a lot of rocky, big/steep cliffs and cave areas).
This far it's nothing I've really had to do or something I've had the opportunity to see be done too much at work, so it's something I still feel pretty unsure about and the scale of the task intimidates me. But it's something I want to learn and get more comfortable with as I love to create nature environments!

I've played many games where I really like their cliffs (some examples of the top of my head right now: Hogwarts Legacy, Banishers ghost of New Eden, Death Loop, Genshin Impact) and get curious about how they are constructed, like how many assets/variations does the pack consist of, how big is the biggest piece, what's the asset shapes needed to construct these shapes/structures in the environment, what's the general detail level/uniqueness of the pieces, how much is custom (scanned or sculpted etc) mesh vs tiling textures, do they use tesselation or splines etc etc.
And as always with game art there are so many different techniques and ways to approach this, but I'd really love to get more familiar with different workflows to be able to decide what best suits certain cases.

When a cliff pack is well made and well used it gets so hard to just look around the environment and deduce what assets they consist of, and I find that most games don't show any breakdowns of the cliffs (which I totally get as I'm guilty of that too). And if I look at asset packs that one can download/buy online they often don't come with a sample scene, so it's hard to tell how functional the asset pack actually is and if it's a good general reference for how such a pack should be created.

So my question is:
Does anyone have any references or breakdowns of cliff asset packs from games that you found good/interesting? Both realistic and stylized are welcome! Or just any tips or advice in general for how one might approach this?

Replies