Home Technical Talk

Maya RANDOMLY inverting Normal maps

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
While using Arnold in Maya, I faced an unusual problem:

There are 32 teeth models in the project (16 upper and 16 lower). I use 4 UDIM maps; one for each eight teeth. For some reason, Maya visually inverts the Normal maps along the Y axis ONLY for the lower teeth, while the upper teeth remain as they should (in the final render also). I could click "invert Y", but then everything becomes the opposite - the upper teeth are wrong inverted and the lower teeth are correct.

All this happens considering that:
1) I baked each Normal map in OpenGL format.
2) In other programs (Blender, Marmoset Toolbag 4) Normal maps work correctly (none are inverted). (In Blender I also used UDIMs, while in Marmoset they are not supported, I used each texture separately).

(This problem is NOT due to the fact that I forgot to set color space RAW or UV Tiling mode UDIM(Mari))
(Normal maps - 8 bit RGB)

I tried many solutions to the problem:
1) I used "aiBump2d" instead of "aiNormalMap" - the result is the same.
2) Freeze Transformation - the result is the same.
3) Combine all 32 objects into 1 - the result is the same.
4) Connect textures separately (not using UDIMs) - the result is the same.
5) Tried different versions of Maya and Arnold - the result is the same.
6) Tried to use Normal maps baked in DirectX format - the result is the same (just inverted Y axis as expected).
7) Tried to use Normal Maps baked in different programs (Zbrush, Substance Painter) - the result is the same.
8) TX textures - do not affect the result.
9) This is not the influence of the scene light on the render (no matter how I rotate the model, the camera, the light - the result is the same. Even using "Isolate selected" in Arnold, clicking on the "aiNormalMap" node, I clearly see the difference which model has the Y axis inverted (model like this has visible seams).
10) I tried to test it in a completely new file - the same result.
I might have missed something (I have been messing with this for a week now).

From what I have already done, I can conclude that this is not related to the quality of Normal maps, the work of UDIMs and models. The problem is Maya.

Most likely I'm missing some setting that I haven't heard of, due to my inexperience working with Maya. I scoured the internet and couldn't find anything like it (only dozens of "forgot to set color space RAW"). I hope someone here can tell me what I'm doing wrong. For now, the only solution I see is to simply create a second, separate shader for the lower teeth and invert the Y axis there. Although it seems a bit messy to me. But I'm very interested to know why Maya does it like this.

Replies