Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: 30daysofsculptV

This seemed like the correct place to put it but I'm new to posting on these forums so correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm going to dedicate time every day for the next month to try and get better at sculpting faces, particularly female ones, as it's something I often WANT to sculpt but just haven't put in the hours to do.
I'm also going to try and get better at B) stealing B) aka referencing pieces similar to what I want to achieve instead of just fumbling blindly.

I'll figure out a template for how I post these daily pieces as I go along, this thread is hopefully enough to keep me obligated to this self improvement project.

Constructive critisism very welcome, examples even more so

Replies

• 30daysofsculptV
    Day 1
    Reference: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Ny0GxD by Alina Dikareva

Time spent ~2 hours

notes
    Not perfectly on reference, but honestly with how it looked 1 hour in I'm very ok for day 1 knowing my own limitations.
    I think I have a tendency to make eyes too big and placed too far out, found myself re-sizing and shoving them deeper several times during this process
    I really struggle with the shape of the entire eye socket. I should look at some breakdowns of the planes
    Shocker... reference helps..

• 30daysofsculptV
    Day 2

Time spent: 2h30m'ish

notes:
    awesome reference, but should probably consider time it takes to block out non-face stuff when picking pieces
    I like the three-quarter view but there's something thats lurking in the front view I can't put my finger on..
    watched flippedpoly vid on face sculpt as a refresher. tried to apply some of those things here
    really push in the area around the tearduct.
    Jawline shape vastly changes silhouette
    nose/mouth/eye size makes a huge difference with small adjustments

• 30daysofsculptV
    Day 3

Reference: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/9Kr6R by Mioree
    Time taken 3 hours

Notes:
    Spent some time having some fun with polypaint on this one but included a limited color one for a more raw sculpt
    Wanted to work of something that was just a 2d concept not 3d as reference (but still with enough planar info to rely on)
    Think I might have underdone it on the eye size a bit here to overcompensate for my usual oversizing
    More happy with the front view today, albeit I dont feel like I captured the reference shape exactly

• 30daysofsculptV
    Day 4
    Time Taken 2h30m'ish
    Notes:
    Honestly, bittersweet. I think this is quite the regression from yesterday but in its middle state it was so bad I was about to give up this entire project, so the fact that I ended up finishing and posting it is a win for me regardless.
    Smiles are HARD. I should stick to more "neutral" faces, at least closed mouths, until I have the fundamentals more down
    I think tomorrow unless something changes my mind I'll try a planar style practice.

• 30daysofsculptV
    Day 5
    Time Taken: 1h35m
    Reference by various artist of generic female face references
    notes:
    This was a kind of a fun fundamentals practice. Tried to just stick to the usual "rules of the face" in regards to a realistic face.
    I'm for sure going to see some flaws tomorrow when I look at it in a new light but I'm proud of myself for being able to do this now and in such a short time compared to before when I could be spending hours never getting close to leaving uncanny-valley central
    I was stupid and accidentally left non-perspective on for a good long while, which really messed up the overall shape and I had to heavily tweak the shapes after realizing.
  • 30daysofsculptV
    day 6

Time taken: 2h40min

Notes:
    Pretty happy about this one! Especially how the very ugly early phase is getting faster and faster to get through which is motivating
    Still trying to work on big shapes before focusing on smaller details too early
    Taking even 5-10 min breaks can help identify small issues I go blind to sitting staring at it.

• 30daysofsculptV
    Day 7
    Reference by Unknown. Found on pinterest with no source & tineye gave 0 results </3)

Time taken: 3Hours'ish
    Notes:
    Super happy with how this came out! Had some moments where something felt off and I gave it a fresh look and managed to spot some improvements.
    I dont think its SPOT on but I think the result looks appealing.
    If someone knows the artist please let me know.
  • 30daysofsculptV
    Day 8
    Reference: found on pinterest. No artist credited </3
    Time Spent: 2h

Notes:
    A bit limited on time on this one. Kinda wish I had started earlier so I had time to refine stuff and the hair. Might revisit this one soon? Or maybe that's an interesting task later down the line?
    • trying a little bit of unsymmetric posing at the end to match reference slightly and give it more soul
  • 30daysofsculptV
    Day 9

Reference: Pretty darn sure this is AI. There's a "produced by" watermark but I can't read it unfortunately

Time Spent: 3h~
    Notes:
    Pretty darn happy about the result of this one. Some things that dont sit immediately right in the front view but the reference angle looks neat
    had some time so I tried some fun stuff with the hair, not quite sure its something ill repeat but it was a fun exploration
    Still hard to do bigger stylized eyes without it coming across as creepy, might try something even more stylized tomorrow to try and push more
  • 30daysofsculptV
    Day 10
    Reference: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1m8vZ by Adam Ryoma Tazi
    Time taken 2h30m~

Notes:
    This was really fun and surprisingly quick to mock up
    Feel a lot more confident with eyes now than I did before
    strayed a little off model but tried to keep the concept strong

• 30daysofsculptV
    Day 11

Time taken 3h~

Notes:
    super fun today. Love the hair in the concept
    looked at some 3d references by Kirill Senzu for stylized faces, helped with some decision making
    I think some of the concept is lost a bit in the transition to 3d and I think a even more confident stylized approach could translate it better

• 30daysofsculptV
    Day 12

Inspired by the general style of Mark Lambert @ https://remenance.artstation.com/
    I've been a fan of their style for a while and it was fun to finally take a crack at it

Notes:
    Pretty fun to explore something with wilder proportions this time!
    They had some great references avaliable to spin around and take pictures of that really helped with the smaller details
  • 30daysofsculptV
    Day 13
    Reference: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/0Xl98V by Mercurial Forge
    Time Taken 1h40m

Notes:
    Started this one late in the day so I had to keep it shorter
    Feels like I'm not matching exactly on the proportions but I picked up some cool stuff in some of the shapes
    Still like the face overall! Great reference piece

• 30daysofsculptV
    Day 14
    Reference: none
    Time taken 2h

Notes:
    Today was a fun experiment. Tried to work of what I've picked up so far and avoid looking at any reference and trust my intuition.
    The character is based on my Cyberpunk V
    Fun note is that it was actually a botched attempt at this very idea that made me realize I want to get better at faces, so going from feeling helpless to smashing (becca no) this out in 2h I can't help but be excited now that we're near the halfway point.
    The hair is still very much a blockout but I've ran out of time so I might twiddle with this as a side project and clean her up that extra lil bit along the way
  • 30daysofsculptV
    Day 15

Time taken 2h

Notes:
    tried something slightly more eering towards normal proportions
    think it's just "Ok"
    definetly the direction I'm on more shaky ground for
    didn't capture the spirit of the drawing
    fun practice

EDIT: This one was rushed while I was near asleep and it showed. Spent 10 minutes tweaking things as I opened it today and updated the images. Is this cheating the challenge? idk maybe. Should be said it's still not my favorite but there were some fundamental stuff I completely glanced over yesterady
  • 30daysofsculptV
    Day 16
    Reference: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Evoxm2 Wild Rift Zyra by FafaLei
    Time taken 2h 30min+

Notes:
    This one was fun. I have been considering trying to copy some of Riot/Blizzards models and I came across Zyra on Artstation so it was a good as time as any
    Kept other details blocky so I just focus on face for this one
    slowly learning to make the final sculpt more polished and avoid tiny blemishes

• 30daysofsculptV
    Day 17
    Bit of a stray one today. I did sculpt a head but it's part of a project still under NDA so you're just going to have to trust me on this one.
    Turned out pretty nice, perhaps I can share it in the future, though by then it's hopefully pretty outdated.
    This shouldn't repeat itself anymore this challenge and I really wanted to squeeze in an extra sculpt for posting today but I decided against it for quality reasons.
  • 30daysofsculptV
    Day 18
    PHANTOM CITY -CULTIST PREACHER
    Time Taken: 2h

Notes:
    Meh. I dont think I managed to capture the sharp features present in the concept. Any time I tried to sharpen it it turned out too masculine or uncanny.
    This was a challenge for me, hopefully I can see some thing I'd have done differently in the morning

• 30daysofsculptV
    Day 19
    No reference for this one, just tried to freestyle a bit again with some reference back to previous work. Sorta goblin/imp inspired

time taken :1h 40m
  • 30daysofsculptV
  • 30daysofsculptV
    Day 21
    A head plane study following Follygons process
    After some helpful feedback I took another look at fundamentals. Will be fun to see how these things translate into the next thing I make after this process.
    Learned some new tricks with the pinch brush as well on a technique side of things
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    just want to say I'm super jealous at how quickly you churn out faces, and how they don't look uncanny or anything. I'm terrible at them. Keep going!
  • 30daysofsculptV
    zetheros said:
    just want to say I'm super jealous at how quickly you churn out faces, and how they don't look uncanny or anything. I'm terrible at them. Keep going!

Hey thanks. Im usually very bad at commiting to these things so Im glad I've been able to force myself to keep at it.
    Also I LOVE your stuff, especially that lobster monster, so much detail but still such a readable silhouette I'm astounded. The ornate armors are also kick ass
  • 30daysofsculptV
    Day 22
    Tried sculpting a simpler planar version of the head this time and shaped it into the final face. I think it helped me maintain some of the bigger planes despite it being somewhat smoothed

• Micheal12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This seemed like the correct place to put it but I'm new to posting on these forums so correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm going to dedicate time every day for the next month to try and get better at sculpting faces, particularly female ones, as it's something I often WANT to sculpt but just haven't put in the hours to do.
    I'm also going to try and get better at B) stealing B) aka referencing pieces similar to what I want to achieve instead of just fumbling blindly.

I'll figure out a template for how I post these daily pieces as I go along, this thread is hopefully enough to keep me obligated to this self improvement project.

Hello How long have you been into 3d modeling. 

• 30daysofsculptV
    Micheal12 said:

Hello How long have you been into 3d modeling. 

Hi Micheal. I studied 3D modeling at school for 4 years and have worked almost 6 years at a small indie studio after that so I guess I'm closing in on 10 years soon.
    Unfortunately doing 3d at work has somewhat stagnated my growth in certain aspects (character modelling, drawing, high fidelity) while getting better at other stuff (environments, efficient cheap assets etc). This exercise is to try and level up my character skill a bit! But I'm definetly not starting from zero.
    Hope this answered your question :)
  • 30daysofsculptV
    Day 23
    Soul Capture paparazzi Team
    This one was super fun. Trying some new methods for blocking out the hair fast. It's not the focus but its fun to give it some attention :)

• 30daysofsculptV
    Day 24
    Juri, mainly based on her sf6 appearance. Various references to get the "feel"
    Juri my beloved <3 I might not be able to combo to save my life but you're still my fav
  • 30daysofsculptV
    Day 25

Another freestyle. Much happier about this one compared to the previous no-ref attempt
    SO has demanded a resin print of this one so I'll take that as a good sign
  • 30daysofsculptV
    Day 26
    httpscdndiscordappcomattachments9579360111811829961225128075230974084imagepngex6620006eis660d8b6ehm0f2ea9625f96a7425936c8fbf49177816a3477ddb3eb6df9236df6f7292c24e9
    httpscdndiscordappcomattachments9579360111811829961225128075675697243imagepngex6620006fis660d8b6fhm3829672190b060be6b19798e15c786d33cf3bbfc5e4fec0aecb9054d8b4c7ebe
    Corpo

Very fun sculpt! I don't think I captured it perfectly but this is a new style exploration and I feel like I learned a lot of small things :)
    overall very happy with it

• 30daysofsculptV
    Day 27
    httpscdndiscordappcomattachments9579360111811829961225605174400389220imagepngex6621bcc4is660f47c4hm6fd71ebfc6326b139d8855f290723b8d09b493b3c1b805dab037bd48b6ccfed9
    httpscdndiscordappcomattachments9579360111811829961225605174723346552imagepngex6621bcc4is660f47c4hmc616f7149849c812d10dd960d8cc3f900cb53875c63e81f037cb17fa512a4db6
    character sketch
    Fun one today! Wanted to keep it shorter than my previous days which had crept into taking way more than 2-3 hours. kept this one to roughly 2h30min with final tweaks.

love the original concept.
  • 30daysofsculptV
    Day 28

The model was avaliable for download as a study reference so I had some very easy comparisons switching between tools to compare shapes. Made this more of a "copy" rather than a "interpret" than i probably should have but I think at the end of the day this excersice is about copying appealing styles to try and grab small nuances which I did end up finding.
    Still a very fun study!
    For the last two heads I want to revisit some of my earliest pieces to have a fun comparison result!
    End is in sight

• 30daysofsculptV
    Day 29
    In preparation for the final day I did a remake of my 2nd piece as I was always a bit let down by how it turned out. I think there's still things to tweak but I am so happy to see the improvement!
    Onto the final day remake of my first piece
  • 30daysofsculptV
    Day 30
    Here's just a reminder where we started
    And here's today's re-visit of the first piece
    Reference: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Ny0GxD by Alina Dikareva
    This has been a fun, exhausting challenge for me but I am so happy I pulled through even if I had a few pushed days.

If someone ends up reading this thank you for taking a peek :)
    Cheers.

✌️