Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Morvoren

MORVOREN

Synopsis
Set in 1800's Cornwall, Morvoren is a third-person Fantasy Adventure RPG packed with fantastical creatures inspired by nearly forgotten Cornish tales. Our team strives to create a puzzle-based playable demo of our game to be released to the public.

Core Team
Molly Snowdon | Team Lead / Environment / Blueprint Artist | https://www.artstation.com/mollysnowdon
Jillian Quek Yu Fei | Environment / Blueprint / Lighting Artist | https://www.artstation.com/jillianquek
Oliver Strydom | Asset / Environment / Blueprint Artist | https://www.artstation.com/oj1904
Abraham Richards | Concept Artist | https://www.artstation.com/abraham_richards
Aaliyah Medina Sodey | Character Artist | https://www.artstation.com/aiqite

Direction
The artistic route we aim towards is realism. Our level focus is navigating through the winding Tin Mines and expansive natural caves and completing puzzles to escape the suffocating mythos known as 'Knockers'.

Replies

• molls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am the team lead and an environmental artist, here is our 'Pre-Alpha' pitch, please let us know any thoughts/ improvements!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFv4aO7_2i0
  • molls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here is our Alpha! We are going to be focusing our efforts on the areas that the camera will show- the pirate ship will no longer be able to be accessed because it would take too much time to create an explorable area, but it will still visually be there for the plot!

-The plot is a group pirates have invaded a knocker cave (A type of Cornish mythology who live in mining tunnels that cause cave collapses) and have stolen a shrine piece from the knockers sacred shrine. The knockers are very unhappy with this and cause a cave collapse on their pirate ship, breaking it apart and killing all of them, now our protagonist must find and place these shrine piece back in order to ease the knockers and not collapse all mining systems in their proximity)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poXAjdM34AQ
  • abra977
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm doing concept art for the environments and props.
    Here are the designs for the glowing plants in the caves.

• abra977
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glowing Mushroom Designs:

• Jill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hii. I am the environment artist of this project. I have been working on the mines this week. The candle fire and lighting are temporary for now. Any feedback will be appreciated!
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
    Caves are super tricky, but good work so far! I would say its a bit noisy, I think it might need some visual areas of rest, maybe the ground can have less pebbles and more dirt maybe even some puddles from dripping water! God of war does this really well imo God of War Ragnarok - Applecore CaveGod of War Ragnarok - Applecore CaveGod of War Ragnarok - Applecore Cave
  • molls
  • Jill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ThisisVictoriaZ Thank you so much for the advice and references!! I'll start working from there.
  • molls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the shrine area I have been working on this week, the lighting hasn't been properly experimented with yet, which is our job this week! Any tips on colourful lighting?

• aiqite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! I'm the character artist and have been working on our protagonist, Morvoren, for our project!
    She is a human/mermaid hybrid with the physique of an Olympic swimmer and the face of Jung Hoyeon and Grace Bol (Grace Bol's lips and nose placement and the rest being from Hoyeon).

I am now mainly working on fixing the ears, clothing and accessories but any feedback especially on the anatomy would be appreciated!

• aiqite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the final mesh as I don't have enough time to keep working on it for my deadline.
    Morvoren is my first ever full body sculpt/character so I am very happy with the final result (don't mind the blue eyebrows, they are place holders)
    I'd like to get feedback on her still though as I know there is still room to improve! :)

• aiqite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have also retopologised her now and so now her base hair, face-framing tentacles and ears are connected to her body mesh!
    The tentacle ponytail has 3 different tentacles depending on the layering.

• Jill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have revised the starting point, pond area based on the concept art and finally finished lighting the area too. It is a fantasy moonlit cave with a pond, and magical mushroom spores floating around. However, I am struggling a bit on the spores, it is still in progress at the moment. Any feedback will be appreciated!
  • Jill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Experimented on the lighting trying to make it more of a fantasy cave. Purely for fun xd
  • Mirge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirge polycounter lvl 7
    Looking great!
  • Jill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirge said:
    Looking great!
    Thank uuuu!!
  • Jill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lighting for the pirate ship, shrine and mine tunnels! Some of them are still in progress tho. I will be adding torches and fire around the pirate ship. Any feedback will be appreciated!
  • Jill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This lighting is purely for fun xd
  • Queen_Skadi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It all looks quite good so far, only glaring issue I could really point out is that the figure of your main character reads (at least to me) as being quite masculine, and this is fine if you are going for a more androgynous figure but you just seemed to be referring to her with she/her pronouns when the vibe I get from the model is more of a somewhat androgynous man with a bra.

I get the character is supposed to be somewhat muscular and athletically fit but even the most strong and athletic women still have somewhat more of an hourglass shape and a feminine curve to their bodies as well as a wider hip to shoulder ratio. From what I can see your character has a fairly stocky upper body with not much or a curve heading down towards the waist and quite broad shoulders with hops that are a fairly uniform size with the rest of the torso, I think if you want the body to read as feminine the best trick is to widen the hips and make the shoulders less broad as well as giving the waist area more of an hourglass shape narrowing closer to the middle and having more of a gentle curve outward towards the hips and chest.

Quick edit via photoshop to give somewhat of an example of what I mean

That said that is just my 2cents and it really depends on what direction you want to go with the character, also keep in mind I am by no means a professional and am still very much an amateur when it comes to 3D modelling so take my advice with a grain of salt. But I just thought I would give my feedback as to what my eyes see and how they read the model.