Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Requesting a Portfolio Review -- 3D Weapon & Prop Work

Hey, there! I've been looking for opportunities to improve as a 3D artist, and I have made the decision to allow for others to review and critique my current work. I have reason to believe my skills have plateaued, and I would like help in improving my craft. My proficiency/comfort area has been firearms since I started 3D modeling, and as of two years ago, I've added Prop work as an additional capacity. I currently use Blender, Substance Painter, Marmoset Toolbag, and ZBrush. Linked below is my portfolio: 
https://www.artstation.com/humphrey-turner/albums/913183

Naturally, I'd have questions:
  • How are the quality of my renders? This is more specific for my weapon renders. My goal look is photorealism (like this example: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8bnxGx), but my works stop short of this goal. What ways do you feel my renders could improve?  
  • What feeling are there on how my textures look? In what ways do you feel my textures could improve (more weathering, better color variation, etc.)? 
  • For the projects that show mesh topology, how is that topology? Does it look like I understand mesh fundamentals or good edge flow? 
You don't have to answer these question verbatim (unless you want to); I'm eager to see the conclusions you draw. My portfolio is not specialized in one thing, nor have I decided what specific (environment, character, prop, technical, hard surface, etc.) artist I want to be. That much, I'll have to figure out on my own. Without revealing too much of myself, involving people into my process and asking for help is an option I'd normally avoid. Admitting that I need help is a big step in becoming a better artist, and a better person. Thank you for your help! Be firm and honest, or critical within reason.  

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Hey, 
    Don't have much time so I do it short
    Youre on a good path but its the typical issues everyone has, the only thing unusual is the topology is sometimes not closed but you run some unneccessary loops all around instead of closing to a triangle

Otherwise:
    - You need to continue and just do more things
    - Remember to later delete all the old stuff
    - The proportions look solid
    - The lighting is too flat, try 3 point setup or rim light in addition at least
    - Use more polygons, theres no reason to go so lowpoly for portfolio work, use bevels, in the end its visual quality what counts
    - Newest weapon has very similar edge thickness, try have some larger bevels as well
    - The ZBrush rifle and Destiny one have too large edge width often, also zhe Zbrush meat texture is too messy
    - Look at some tutorials about wear and tear and damage in texturing.
    - The macro texture definition with large scale details is the most important, and edge highlighting
    - Don't forget to add AO
    - Topology looks clean but sometimes unnecessary loops as mentioned
    - Monocolor backgrounds are cheap, once you prepare for your final portfolio, pick your 3 best pieces, delete everything else, and make at least a simple background for them
    - I assume you need 3-4 more such weapon models then you can look for a entry position id say

Best of luck
  • UnlitShader
    Hey, Shrike. Thank you very much for your input! I have some questions for you in return: 
    • I'll be doing the legwork on this in finding wear & tear and damage tutorials, but off the top of your head, do you have any tutorials on that matter to recommend that has helped you? 
    • Saying Mono-color backgrounds are cheap tells me that I need backgrounds that are beyond just a simple color or color gradient. Is that correct?
    I'll be removing my portfolio's older content, as it makes less sense to keep them up since my skill level has changed. I'll be trying out some more lighting techniques, including your three-point light suggestion; I'm in agreement with you in that my render's lighting is too flat. Your macro-texture definition point suggests that my textures need elements that pop more, so I'll work towards making that happen. I will make beveling my edges more of a habit as well. 

Thank you again for your help!