Home Adobe Substance

Height without pixel shading in Painter?

gnoop
polycounter
Offline / Send Message
gnoop polycounter
Does anyone know a trick to make  Painter work same as Designer  where height doesn't  immediately produce shading until  you put Height to Normal node  on top of the height exactly where you need it ?

Mixing height on top of baked normal map + masks  adds extra complication  and  turns everything into utter mess.  
 I prefer layers masking   ignore height  for example    where  height can  be  used strictly for  masks producing but not shading .   Same way  material blend node works in Designer.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You can send the information through a user channel if you don't want to use it as height
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    poopipe said:
    You can send the information through a user channel if you don't want to use it as height

yeah, I tried this but user  channels seem to work in 0-1  range.  While I find -1 to1  is  actually  an advantage in Painter . it simplifies the math  . Is it possible to make user channel work same way somehow?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    gnoop said:
    poopipe said:

yeah, I tried this but user  channels seem to work in 0-1  range.  While I find -1 to1  is  actually  an advantage in Painter . it simplifies the math  . Is it possible to make user channel work same way somehow?
    if the userchannel has a floating point datatype it might support that. 

if not i guess you have to just remap it

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thanks  poopipe  .  Yeah. you are right with levels on top of it you can remap