Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique of (another) AK-47 texture/render work.

Hello first time posting for critique, but I am fairly happy with this overall, but any feedback would be helpful, rip me apart, give me kudos, all feedback is welcome.  The model itself is very high poly, I didn't both with low at this time, I wanted to make the most realistic prop I could so I didn't bother with LP for the sake of this project.  I am mostly happy with how the metal turned out, depending on the light I think the renders came out decent.  The wood I feel could need work but I don't know where to start, I don't want it too worn and there is usually a good sheen on an AK, but it still looks uncanny.  Thought I should add something like this to my portfolio and I started before seeing/realizing, "oh everyone has done an AK and there are tutorials from start to finish", but oh well, I didn't follow any tutorials, I made my own PureRef board and did everything myself. 

More context: I am looking at getting a job in the 3d modeling/texture work in the gaming industry, specializing in hard surface.

Any feedback on the quality of the render/lighting work would also be appreciated. 

Replies

• silverpoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    silverpoly polycounter lvl 5
    This still looks like a Low Poly asset.  Focus first with your HighPoly phase. Increase bevels. focus on bigshapes, proportions.  You can also upload your highpoly screenshots. shader only or with topology.. so we can also see what to improve.  Also make sure to get enough references. Goodluck. !