Home Coding, Scripting, Shaders

Edge Distance Detect in 3DS MAX

djb101
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
djb101 polycounter lvl 4
so I'm currently working on a project for my work and I'm trying to automate my low poly process a bit more (i use the boolean workflow). one of the ways that I'm doing that is through the "turn to poly" modifier. its not the best thing out there and requires some cleanup (like most automated processes). one of the problems that im having with it is it sometimes make edges that are so close together. A lot of the time they can be difficult to spot and i find myself triple checking my model trying to find these errors. Its kinda tedious so i wanna fix it. i've looked to see if any kind of script exists but no such luck. i was wondering if anyone here has anything that could be of help? Thanks :)

Replies

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    idk if this is the solution but it came to mind if you haven't used it, it is inside max already:
  • djb101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djb101 polycounter lvl 4
    Its kind of a solution, but this is more for overlapping edges, whereas im after edges that are very close together. or within a certain distance. Thanks for the help tho. This is a pretty useful modifier.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    checking the distance between edges is not useful because you can't do anything constructive with the information (edges are defined only by the vertices they connect ). 

optimize and pro-optimize modifier are both good for getting rid of this sort of thing, as is simply welding vertices with a distance (either as part of edit poly or using the vertex weld modifier).