Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning rock sculpture, Looking for feedback

Hello, first time posting here!
I've studying rocks for a while in blender but I'm having a hard time with it, looking for some tips and feedback on how to improve it.

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Welcome to PC, right well firstly be great by providing some context.

What type of rock are you sculpting? because they've unique characteristics much like fingerprints, dependent upon climatic conditions and/or region/s they're endemic too or indeed how they were initially formed....etc   
  • Kyunnaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmmm I'm not sure about what type, but by the characteristic I wanted was more like a tundra plutonic or sedimentary rocks. I've collected a bunch of refs and was trying to follow technics I have seen in timelapse. I struggled a lot trying to get a rocky silhouette and understand how to use the common blender brushes for this kind of sculpt. (I used scrape brush with normal and plane checked, alternating with area plane and view plane, and clay strips)

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    "I struggled a lot trying to get a rocky silhouette and understand how to use the common blender brushes for this kind of sculpt."

Visual Language may help, in creating a more rock-like textured silhouette and as for your finesse with Blender's default sculpt brushes, then imo you've actually nothing to worry about really, on both counts judging by these following examples:

Also another observation that may be useful, notice how in one of your photo refs that the rocky outcrop, has a distinct off-set skew toward a particular direction?!

which will introduce a higher center of mass, in turn convey a perception of 'weight' hence additional plausibility too your object.

EDIT:
    A couple of links for further insights:
  • Kyunnaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback and the links!