Home Technical Talk

.FBX model not exported from Maya properly

Finardi
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Finardi polycounter lvl 2
Hello!
I have a rigged model that I'm trying to export from Maya but the model is appearing black and not skin weighted when I import it. The model is being referenced from another file. I tried to export both from the 'File > Export' method and the Game Exporter method.
The curious thing is: the animations that I export from Game Exporter work properly and the model is exported correctly. But when I export only the rigged model this mistake happens.
Any ideas of what's going on and how to export properly?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    where are you exporting to. what are the export and import settings. what is the export selection?
  • Finardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The export and import section are standard, just with 'bake animation' off. It's for Unity, but it's re-importing in Maya with this glitch also.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you try exporting a non-referenced version for the skinned mesh definition?

• Finardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, same thing happens

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next thing I would do is duplicate the problem mesh, delete history, do a humanIK quick bind and then export that and test it in engine.
    If that works correctly, then you know the problem has to do with the mesh itself rather than the import/export process. If this is true, then I'd probably start by copy the current skin weights, duplicate a new mesh, bind it, transfer the weights, and try again.

Can also delete the bind poses and make a single one.
    The steps for resetting bind pose are:
    1. Ensure your character is at desired bind pose
    2. Delete all bind poses from outliner
      1. set show DAG only = false and then search for bind pose, delete them
    3. select all the joints of your 3D model - select root then Select>hierarchy
    4. Mel script = dagPose -s -bp
    if this is done correctly you should see a single bind pose in the outliner

• Finardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, and how to do to prevent this massive workaround?  :#
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this should only take a minute to complete. I don't know how things got borked in the first place, this is basically an unplug and plug back in fix. It's the quickest thing to do.
  • Finardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, know it's not exporting black anymore but still without skin weights. In the file I followed these steps and it has skin weights.
  • Finardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solved! I exported successfully with Game Exporter without the model have been locked inside a layer. I simply unlocked the layer. It's weird because Game Exporter asks for what content should it export, but the locked layer causes this rubbish to the model.