Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Really need feedback

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello everyone, I'm new here!

I would like to ask you for advice on how best I can further develop my portfolio. I'm an aspiring Environment Artist, and I'm trying to apply my skills to creating stylized environments. I would be grateful for any advice, criticism, or guidance. Am I moving in the right direction to become a 3D artist? Maybe you have some suitable courses or just guides on YouTube, I would be grateful for any information!

Portfolio link: https://www.artstation.com/yehor_piatkin

Forest cottage

Cart in the woods

Melancholy feeling

Thank you in advance

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The scenes mostly feel unfinished, there's a narrative idea, but not followed through to a fully realized scene. Like the boat in the middle of a stream. If it isn't docked, where are the people? Did they go for a swim? Did they catch any fish? Is there a net or bucket for the caught fish or was it more social fishing? The cart in the woods, what is it transporting? Is it on a path? Are they going to a town or city? Why did they stop?
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! Other things I would note:
    • Some elements like the tree trunks and the beams of the house are very straight. Add some width to bottoms, like weight is resting on elements and to ground them. Add some variation to straight lines. Bend horizontal beams as if they had to carry weight.
    • Pay closer attention to proportions. Looking at the house, window frames are very thin compared to other beams. Use references, even for stylized scenes, to get a believable base.
    • Similarly, pay closer attention to patterns and surfaces. For example the way the roof tiles are placed is very impractical: no overlap, rain will not flow off.
    Maybe it will help to dissect work of other people doing stylized works (3d and 2d). Ideally what references did they use and how did they stylize it, what was their thought process.

Keep it up!