Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Honest Feedback For My Small 3D Environment

Hello everyone, I'm currently working on a small environmental project. The central focus will be the Bonsai Tree, as it will undergo a transformation into a Dragon and back. Right now I'm on the Blockout phase and would appreciate feedback, particularly on the background around the Bonsai Tree:
  • What can I do to create a better composition in the room? I feel that the plants are a bit chaotic.
  • Something feels off in the Blockout, but I can't quite pinpoint it. Is the room too small, or are there too many plants? I could use some extra eyes.
  • What are your thoughts on the lighting, perspective, and the overall shape language?
  • What's the first thing that catches your eye in the environment?
  • How can I make the Bonsai Tree stand out more?
I have also made 3 window variations, but i cant decide right now. Would be nice to hear what you prefer. Feedback.
I'm also open to any other feedback you may have

Replies

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    to reduce the chaos while still keeping detail; you can group the small stuff like pots and books together with lighting and colour. Have you tried changing the time of day to night? It could make the background darker and the bonsai brighter, which will make it stand out.

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You could put a bloom or glow card behind the bonsai to make it pop, even give it a more intense rim shader/lighting. I like the idea of piling pots, bags, and books in separate spots. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    just mentioning a few things jump out to me, these aren't necessarily critiques just first impression observations:

- looks cozy
    - the window frames look like little owl eyed people and now that i've seen this i cannot unsee. it's kinda cute but also a little creepy (image 2)
    - what is scale? the pillows are only thing gives me landmark to judge scale by but everything else in relation seems a little off. is it all sized to match if a person is sitting on the couch? Seems like a lot of props then are way oversized, not so say they have to be perfectly realistic scale but i mention in case this leads to sense on unease mentioned in first post
    - image 3 window frames work best to my eye. the straight lines reduce overall noise and harsh angles clashing which feels nicer to me