Home Career & Education

3D Art Test Red Flag? Help

Raiton
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Raiton polycounter lvl 5

Hi, I am very new to the gaming industry with only one year of experience.

I was asked to take a 48-hour test, not paid, AND they said that they would publish it on their site and use it for a magazine.

Also, the test is kind of a reach from what I showed in my portfolio (there was not much info on their site on what they did), and they didn't provide me with any concept, and what they asked is really not well defined so I would have to put into extra work just to understand what I should make.

Am I reading too much in this or should I stand up for myself? As I'm feeling like they're trying to take advantage of me.

EDIT: I just noticed that the person contacting me is working for them as a Graduate 3D Generalist (which is the position I am applying for), shouldn't it be someone at a higher rank contacting me and asking for a test? Is he going to evaluate it?

Replies

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    An art test is exactly that; to test if you're a good fit for the position; if your skills meet the requirements of the position, and if you can communicate and problem solve well. If they intend on publishing the results of the art test (particularly if they'll be making money off of it directly or indirectly), that would be a paid job, and should talk to you about it beforehand. IMO they should pay you.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    48 hours is six working days. Not unusual for an art test. 

Unpaid, there are arguments for and against. 

Publishing the results of the test is extremely unusual. I would not agree to this, no
    matter how eager I was to work for them. 

Showing it on their site is a marketing win for them, and magazine too… these uses should be a paid project, and would generally not be contracted with an inexperienced artist either.

The test being kind of a reach, that’s the point of the test. They see potential in your portfolio, but want to evaluate unillustrated skills.

No concept and not well defined… could be two things: either they’re shit at evaluating artists (sounds more likely in this case), or part of the test is an evaluation of how well you handle ambiguity: Do you ask questions to refine the customer’s vision, are you organized, can you communicate well, etc.

Graduate 3D Generalist may just be the assistant who is assigned with menial tasks, and they filter any substantive questions up to art management (who would be evaluating the work). Or you may be right, they may be evaluating the test. I’d suggest asking.

Be careful evaluating this company! An interview and a test are opportunities for BOTH sides to evaluate each other. Don’t get taken in and exploited.

You should remain wary, but communicate respectfully.

Edit: I moved this from 3D Showcase to Career & Education, where you’ll find a bunch of great resources around similar topics.
  • Raiton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raiton polycounter lvl 5
    zetheros said:
    An art test is exactly that; to test if you're a good fit for the position; if your skills meet the requirements of the position, and if you can communicate and problem solve well. If they intend on publishing the results of the art test (particularly if they'll be making money off of it directly or indirectly), that would be a paid job, and should talk to you about it beforehand. IMO they should pay you.
    Yeah I agree
  • Raiton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raiton polycounter lvl 5
    48 hours is six working days. Not unusual for an art test. 

Unpaid, there are arguments for and against. 

Publishing the results of the test is extremely unusual. I would not agree to this, no
    matter how eager I was to work for them. 

Showing it on their site is a marketing win for them, and magazine too… these uses should be a paid project, and would generally not be contracted with an inexperienced artist either.

The test being kind of a reach, that’s the point of the test. They see potential in your portfolio, but want to evaluate unillustrated skills.

No concept and not well defined… could be two things: either they’re shit at evaluating artists (sounds more likely in this case), or part of the test is an evaluation of how well you handle ambiguity: Do you ask questions to refine the customer’s vision, are you organized, can you communicate well, etc.

Graduate 3D Generalist may just be the assistant who is assigned with menial tasks, and they filter any substantive questions up to art management (who would be evaluating the work). Or you may be right, they may be evaluating the test. I’d suggest asking.

Be careful evaluating this company! An interview and a test are opportunities for BOTH sides to evaluate each other. Don’t get taken in and exploited.

You should remain wary, but communicate respectfully.

Edit: I moved this from 3D Showcase to Career & Education, where you’ll find a bunch of great resources around similar topics.
    Thanks your answer was really extensive and explained a lot!
    I ended up not doing the test because I read other things about them and wasn't really feeling too comfortable with them. 
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    there will be more and better offers. Just keep at it :)
  • chien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chien polycounter lvl 13
    you can choose to accept or reject test, but carefull who is giving test, sometimes they no idea what the mean
  • Raiton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raiton polycounter lvl 5
    zetheros said:
    there will be more and better offers. Just keep at it :)
    thank you that helps a lot :) 
  • Raiton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raiton polycounter lvl 5
    chien said:
    you can choose to accept or reject test, but carefull who is giving test, sometimes they no idea what the mean
    Yeah, I can definitely see that. Thank you for answering :) 
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Is it  a proper company? do they have any published titles, proper website etc. if not  stay well clear
  • Raiton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raiton polycounter lvl 5
    Ruz said:
    Is it  a proper company? do they have any published titles, proper website etc. if not  stay well clear
    I couldn't find much about them and so I decided to avoid it.