Home Adobe Substance

Faces shining through after baking maps in Substance Painter

Hello dear community,

today, I started with my first model for Substance Painter to get my training going. I'm just at the beginning of my journey.
After I exported my mesh in the high and low poly variant, I imported it into Substance Painter to play around with my texture. After importing, first I got artifacts and triangles shining through. Then I managed to resolve that issue, even though, I don't know how... ^^ An answer to that would also be great.
Now, I see the faces of the low poly mesh shining through when viewing my mesh in Substance Painter. When looking inside the tree hole, I even see clearly visible faces, even though it should display the high poly map.
Could anyone tell me if my mesh is wrong, my UV map is messed up or the projection settings when baking were bad?
I need to say that I used UnwrapMe when unwrapping the UV. I'm not that good at applying seams myself, yet.

Thank you for your time!

The high poly model

The low poly model

My new problem

My old problem

My UV map

Replies

• seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    1. Looks to me that unwrapme is doing a pretty bad job at unwrapping or you have not found the correct buttons yet. there is a lot of wasted space and i can easiely spot overlaps.
    2. both high and low poly seem to have hard edges only. try to soften them in both models.

actually start with the second point first and see what happens, then try getting deeper in proper unwrapping.
  • Visialis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your answer!
    Should I just reduce the angle between the faces? Is there an automatic way, should I do it manually or just rebuild the model? Is the smooth tool from sculpting enough for the high poly and low poly? Should I add some faces to the low poly to smooth everything out?
    Could you also tell me if there are good marks for seams? I know they should be on hard edges and when I have a loop, I should cut it open. Any other advice? :)
    Thank you so much!
  • Visialis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like I found the issue. I needed to select "Shade smooth" in Blender and then export it.
    But now I get another clipping error. Is this still because of the sharp geometry?

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Share the meshes that people can take a look, reduces guessing. I see some overlapping UVs, make sure no faces are inverted, ...
  • Visialis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was able to resolve the issue now. Thanks to the hint with the sharp edges, I smoothed out my model using the sculpting smooth tool. :)
    Thanks for your time, guys!