Home Technical Talk

Cinema 4D Crashing PC / Reboot constantly while using

HI all,

So I’ve been having issues using Cinema 4d recently, throughout the day I will experience black screen crashes where my computer will reboot while using the software. I’m using Redshift. It happens randomly, mainly while I'm using the render viewer, but also happens when I'm just animating in the viewport.

I’ve had IT technicians check the health of my PC and it’s completely fine, I’ve also run multiple stress tests / benchmarks on the PC and it’s performance is running perfectly.

I’ve run out of ideas on how to solve these crashes, it only happens when I’m using cinema 4D, never with unreal engine etc. Have also tried fresh install of windows etc.

I’m hoping someone might have had this experience or can give me some support.

cheers

PC SPECS

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE x2
Corsair H100x Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
CORSAIR 1000W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (4 x 16GB)
24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4090 - HDMI, DP
Windows 10

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Ok, so I'm not a technician or whatever but in my experience - if the computer is rebooting like that then it's a hardware issue. Power supply, GPU or a mainboard that can't quite cope with the attached hardware running at full load.

In your case I'd get my hands on a much much lower spec GPU first and try working your usual scenes but without that 4090. If that doesn't solve it: test with another power supply.

• Ausi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp said:
    Ok, so I'm not a technician or whatever but in my experience - if the computer is rebooting like that then it's a hardware issue. Power supply, GPU or a mainboard that can't quite cope with the attached hardware running at full load.

In your case I'd get my hands on a much much lower spec GPU first and try working your usual scenes but without that 4090. If that doesn't solve it: test with another power supply.

So I was having the issue with my old power supply & GPU, so I decided to upgrade both and hope to resolve the issue and still had the crashes. I've also replaced the ram from my old computer which worked fine but has not made any difference either.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    This could be from your PC overheating, did you check this? 
    On AMD especially, maybe the RAM have compatibility issues

From my experience most restarts are either one of these 2 issues
    Maybe your CPU clocks are unstable and just crashing if stressed enough, which just happens when using the 3D software 

Also update graphics drivers and windows

Try run a more demanding benchmark for a bit longer
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    you get told on restart if it shuts down due to overheating (my cooler died recently so I've plenty of experience with that one)  the 5950 doesn't run particularly hot anyway so a 240mm radiator should be fine provided it's correctly fitted. 

4090s are a lot less prone to really aggressive power spikes than the 3090 and generally use a lot less power so i would imagine you're fine with 1kw but it might be worth checking the power draw while working to see if it spikes before shutting down. 

I assume you're running a proper motherboard with decent power delivery (i.e a decent x570) so it's probably not that

however...
    if it only happens with cinema4d its probably cinema4d arguing with a driver  - I'd roll back to whatever version of the driver is officially supported and work with their support team from there. 

as a side note  - you're leaving a lot of performance on the table running slow memory, the 5950 really likes 3600 which is pretty cheap at the moment. 

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Just toss ideas out, did you play with any bios settings if not perhaps you should test it, lower the specs all around(apart from the memory), this could help eliminate an internal issue, i can't say for 100% certainty but i recently experienced some "funny business" on all brand new hardware... never online to eliminate that as a factor, though all mobo's/tech coming with "wifi" makes me think these towers everywhere can work in conjunction with that... but anyway, to the possible fix for me was the GPU power connector wasn't 100% in all the way, can't say for certain as i also just left the "default" driver (not updated drivers) in and said if it works do not fix it, to much of a headache, seemed to work. 

If you have yet to sort out the cpu thermal pastes, then perhaps its time for a touch up on that? 
    There are also new "exploits" for both sides being "discovered" and updating yourself with the happenings about might help "prevent" it from happening...i suppose.  Information about all the new ones here: https://youtu.be/siQ9atC-IlY?t=423
    & if i can find hte video with the info, they updated the plug with a new one i think you have to order or something.
    update: