Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique - Environment Modeller

Ducky97
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Ducky97 triangle
https://sophiepymm.artstation.com/ 

Hey guys I would love it if you could check out my work and help me push it to the next level. 

Many thanks :D

Replies

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    not an environment artist but tried to dabble in those realms, anywho i wanted to mention that i always enjoyed viewing these kinds of "environment pieces"  not to stagnate anyone's exploratory creativity but i can't get enough of those, especially the ones that have buildings sliced in half showing say a home and then the alternative side is the interior.
    simple things are cool too example.
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! Some thoughts on the lighthouse project:
    The geometry looks bit simple/flat in some places, like it's still in blockout stage. Larger meshes and modules can be detailed with smaller modules like individual rocks, stones, slabs, ... . Repeating structures like railings or walls can be created using tiling, detailed meshes which can be put in an array and be deformed (e.g. along a spline). Doing a breakdown of the subject first certainly helps to identify necessary building blocks. Showing these modules would be cool too.

On the topic of textures: some areas look like they are flat colors, in others tiling becomes noticeable. For architecture, using a trim atlas and combining it with tiling textures might be an efficient approach. When using tiling textures, masks (vertex color, secondary uv channel, world projected, ...) can be used to modulate or blend the surface to break up the tiling and to add variation. Polycount wiki might contain some examples.

Regarding presentation/render: Since it's based on is a real place, I would look at photos for reference for atmosphere and framing. I'd also think about what kind of story to tell. Personally, I think this structure looks a bit like a secluded stronghold. To strengten this idea, I would pull the camera back, showing more of the narrow bridge toward it and the cliffs. Communicate it's a good defensive position and something the viewer is goin towards. Maybe more dramatic weather, so that the building gives refuge. Can have multiple renders of course.

Keep it up!