Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Creature personal project (Barlgura)

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hey guys I was wondering if I could get some critique on this please?

Replies

• LouisFalisi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Still a WIP sculpt buit would be really great if anyone had any feedback they could give me to improve it :)
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Show the turnaround. One angle isn't enough to give useful critique.
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    I'd look for animal references to get believable anatomy (Gorilla for body, I suppose?).

Is it to be animated? If yes, I'd consider making a simple skeleton to figure out the proportions so it can do all movements needed. Can slap proxy geometry to the skeleton, later a mesh with subdivision levels, to switch between different poses.

As Vertrucio wrote, hard to get a good idea from just one angle. Judging from the image, I'd say maybe chest/shoulders too wide and arms/hands too short and thin to support the weight.

Good luck!
  • LouisFalisi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fabi_G and @Vertrucio thanks so much for the feedback guys! I've since made the arms longer and am going to work on those hands as I agree theyre too small and thin. Here is my ref and also a turnaround I rendered to make feedback easier. Thanks again :)

• zetheros
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    back legs need to be stronger and bigger, fingers need better definition. In general needs more indication of sinew, tendon, and strength. There is also some base level curvature work that needs to be done to evoke flow, power, motion. This is not a chunky, slow, fat creature. This is a crag-stalking death beast that will rip people's heads off in an instant and send entrails flying. The tail should look like V, not ||

Just take more care and time with sculpting, and *really* look at the references you have. You'll get there
  • pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    Looking nice!
    His midsection and butt area looks a little truncated compared to the refs. (like his ribcage is close to grinding against his pelvis)
    His feet as you have it are more of a stump (like and elephant but with toes) whereas the concept shows it as multi-jointed foot (i don't know the technical term for it) like in dogs.
  • LouisFalisi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pxgeek and @zetheros you guys are absolute LEGENDS thank you so so so much for this I'll get to work on these improvements now and post an update once im done thank you again :) 
  • zetheros
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    dont forget there are more references you can use that are already out in games. Monster Hunter World will have a ton of stuff. You might be able to find them on artstation.