Home Marmoset

Increase Occlusion Precision in Marmoset?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Kligan polycounter lvl 6
I was wondering, is there a way to increase AO baking precision in marmoset toolbag?
Here's what I mean:

You can see "white" spots where occlusion didn't bake.

The only thing I know that fixes this is reducing cage offset. But sometimes it's impossible to reduce offset too much because it will lead to cage geometry clipping through high poly mesh and result in incorrect normals and other baked maps.

Is there any other way to tackle this issue?

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! Looks to me like the screws are partly projected on the surface below. Are they separate meshes? Then you could use bake-groups
  • Kligan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kligan polycounter lvl 6
    Fabi_G said:
    Hi! Are the screws separate meshes? Then you could use bake-groups
    Yes, the bolts are not combined with geometry beneath. And I use a second bake to fix the black spots underneath - because when the mesh will LOD, the bolts disappear and black spots will be visible. So I bake them "flat" underneath as well:

The issue is not exactly that they are separate geometry. Here's another example:

This is a single continuous mesh without any cuts on the geometry:

One more example:

Single mesh, as well.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the first issue, try enabling Two-Sided in the AO settings. For the second, try adjusting the Cavity Weight slider.
  • Kligan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kligan polycounter lvl 6
    For the first issue, try enabling Two-Sided in the AO settings. For the second, try adjusting the Cavity Weight slider.
    Tried all that. Two-sided always on (tried to disable it to see if it helps, it doesn't). And cavity weight just affects the "contrast", so to say, of the occlusion. But the white streaks in the corners are still there.

That being said... it's not a *huge* issue. Because after texturing, it's not even noticeable. It's just something that was annoying me and I thought maybe I'm doing something wrong.