Home Marmoset

Toon Shader (unlit border in toolbag 4)

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
I need a step-by-step process to create an unlit black border around the model edge in Marmoset toolbag 4. There are few explanations available on the internet but I m too new to understand. Pls help guys :)

Replies

• johnwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right now there's no real toon shader, however you can achieve some toon like effects with the skin diffusion shader.  if you set the shadow smoothing to zero, you get a super hard edge which can look pretty cool.
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    right now there's no real toon shader, however you can achieve some toon like effects with the skin diffusion shader.  if you set the shadow smoothing to zero, you get a super hard edge which can look pretty cool.
    Reads like an echo of almighty_girs answer in this old thread :D Same thread also a contains short description how to create a geometry outline (duplicate mesh, fatten duplicate, invert its normals, apply material). Good luck!
  • polypublic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    Reads like an echo of almighty_girs answer in this old thread :D Same thread also a contains short description how to create a geometry outline (duplicate mesh, fatten duplicate, invert its normals, apply material). Good luck!

duplicate mesh (which software?, i use Maya)
    fatten duplicate
    invert its normals (in toolabag 4? please explain) 
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hey, here is a video tutorial of someone creating an outline mesh in Maya. Surely there are other ways to do it, as always.
    Once you got both meshes in Toolbag, you would have to tweak the material of the outline-mesh, so it doesn't react to light, disable shadow casting for the outline mesh, and ensure backface culling is true (is so by default iirc).
  • polypublic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    Hey, here is a video tutorial of someone creating an outline mesh in Maya. Surely there are other ways to do it, as always.
    Once you got both meshes in Toolbag, you would have to tweak the material of the outline-mesh, so it doesn't react to light, disable shadow casting for the outline mesh, and ensure backface culling is true (is so by default iirc).
    This is the end result :anguished:
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hi! Is it single sided and did you invert the outline meshes normals?
    If you want the model looked at, you can zip it and attach it here or send it via pm.
  • polypublic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    Hi! Is it single sided and did you invert the outline meshes normals?
    If you want the model looked at, you can zip it and attach it here or send it via pm.
    File Link: https://mab.to/t/JgImfWaqviq/eu1 _here's the file. rest is upto you Sir :)
    My Artstation: https://ronnie7.artstation.com/
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    It seems the faces of your outline mesh are not pointing inwards. In the attached fbx they do. Make sure Cull Back Faces is enabled and Cast shadows is disabled for the outline mesh.

Honestly it's a bit puzzling to me that you couldn't figure this out with all resources easy to find (and linked to). Good luck!
  • polypublic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    It seems the faces of your outline mesh are not pointing inwards. In the attached fbx they do. Make sure Cull Back Faces is enabled and Cast shadows is disabled for the outline mesh.

Honestly it's a bit puzzling to me that you couldn't figure this out with all resources easy to find (and linked to). Good luck!
    thank you so much Sir! You have helped me a lot in lightening my shoulders
    Keep going! :)