Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: rioosart

Offline / Send Message
Pinned

I'm extremely new in this field (really started learning 3D in February 2023) but I'm having the best time learning new things so I'm making this sketchbook topic to record my progress and to journal thoughts about what I'm studying at the moment. Feel free to post comments and feedback on things. :)

Replies

• rioosart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

After the donut tutorial and a few tutorials I actually never finished because I felt I didn't understand enough I finally started an online course and the first project was to create a viking shield. It sounded simple enough so the blocking stage was nice and I ended up with something like this for our first exercise.

I loved to practice basic shapes and I feel like I need to do a lot more now that I'm comfortable with the softwares and with the theory. I struggle a lot to get things on a more basic level. Even when I'm sure about the basic forms my mind keeps focusing on the details and I end up skipping a few steps and then I have to redo a few things to make it work.

Anyways, after that we added more subdivisions.

After that I entered my personal nightmare: UVs. I unwrapped them very nicely (or so I thought) and everything was going very smoothly until I imported everything to Substance Painter and things started going downhill!! But as frustrating as it was, I learned a lot.

The wood planks were a real nightmare. It's a little bent where plank meets plank so they had us cutting seams on top and on the sides of the plank and using the "Project from View" option. To me it was rather messy and it ended up like this:

After going through a few other tutorials using Maya I decided to try my luck and make the same model there and try out the UV editor. It looked so easy!!!! But when I went back to Painter with the UVs the wood was kinda wonky on the sides like it was cut off and had no resolution. Then I understood the power of wisely marking the seams!! But still, if anyone has a better way to do it in this situation I'd love to hear it because i don't like how they are at the moment even if they do work.

Anyways, this is what I got so far after playing with smart materials.

I feel like there's something missing but I still can't figure out what it is. I have to set up a scene using Megascans for the final render. So that's where am at in this official online course. I'll try to record a few other tutorials I did in between as well as personal projects because I know I'll learn a ton more if I face the errors and mistakes that kind of don't usually happen when following tutorials.

That being said, I'm having a lot of fun and I can see myself doing this for a very long time!! I'm also glad I found polycount because studying alone was getting quite sad lol.