Home General Discussion

Site styling

Starting to bring back some of the essential site styling, into the new Theme system.

So far:

• Greentooth added back to the + button.
  • Author name not all uppercase.
  • Emoji tinted green again, and not so large.

More to come. LMK what's top priority for you, and I'll try to get it in.

<3

Replies

• studio2a3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    studio2a3d polycounter lvl 5

My sig is busted? Nope, it's fixed. I can't delete this post?

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

studio2a3d7:31 pm

My sig is busted? Nope, it's fixed. I can't delete this post?

People have never been able to delete posts.

But we will honor requests, either with Flag:Report, or via email to helpdesk@polycount.com

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

Features I thought made Polycount awesome:

Editing your post would note the post was edited and how many times. This made discussions cleaner. I took more time proof-reading my post before publishing because I didn't want a "Edited" footnote tacked onto my post.

User avatars and titles were requested and processed. New users didn't get them until they've been around a while and were active on the forum. This made them feel special.

Cleaning up buggy site behvaior and visually distracting embeds will make it even easier to be proud of being a member.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks Cory. I liked those too, back in the day. See what I can do.

I did figure out how to get the rank titles to be colored again, and emoji are now properly green, both in the preview and the post. 😛

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

I did notice somethings shifting around a bit, and I think I speak for all of the quiet lurkers we appreciate it. So long as you're enjoying yourself and aren't going too far out of your way or create unfun chores for yourself, I think you do more than enough for the community as it is. 😘

• spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15

Is there a "mark all forums read" button ?
    Or was there even one before the change ?

I now have all messages/threads unread and can't find a way to change that …

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I don't see any options to mark all as read. But I can ask around.

Did a bit of adjustments on reply headers/footers, cuz it was bugging me. Still a lot that bugs me, so got my work cut out I guess!

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth

Options for themes? i.e. select what we like? jut wondering.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

They don’t have a theme selector, it’s just a global setting.

But there are browser extensions for overriding the site CSS, so you can strip all existing styling, make your own theme, etc.

I even shared a couple of the past April Fools themes, not sure if they still work… https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2679860/#Comment_2679860

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

User avatars and titles were requested and processed. New users didn't get them until they've been around a while and were active on the forum. This made them feel special.

BTW, this has been working for a few years, see here:

• neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17

IDK if this is the right place to post feedback, but I feel like the "new" tag on the left side of each thread creates a lot of visual noise IMHO. I open up a topic and I'm bombarded in bold letters with new, new, new, new

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

An easy wish to grant…

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

Anyone else have issues with viewing the notifications drop down on mobile? I end up having to go to my profile and then click notifications.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Works for me, iPhone/Chrome. It's heavily cutoff on the left though, I can't read most of the subject line.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

would it be possible to have the icon of the first poster on the left and scaled like anyone else who follows up? atm we end up with a huge empty space on the right just because of that

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Aaaaalright - I wasn't sure if now was a good time to suggest layout edits ; but if it is, then I'd say that the vertical spacing/padding between threads would need to be reverted to what it was before.

(I personally don't buy the argument that the availability of higher res screens means that web layouts need to be scaled up accordingly : in practice it's nowhere as simple as that since not everybody necessarily has they browser maximized for instance).

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

In the past, users were able to post a request in a subform after a given number months. It wasn't automatic, a moderator would process the request. One day, you'd get a new title, title font color, and avatar and it felt really good.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

That's a default Vanilla thing. I'll see what I can do.

In general I'm trying to keep the CSS overrides as simple as possible, since Vanilla has a habit of renamingthe underlying IDs which breaks our custom styling.

Same with the spacing between threads in the category page.

🤞

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi there Eric,

Perhaps a valid way for people to suggest edits would be to do so by referencing other existing boards using the same system ? This could lead to some unexpected solutions, with the guarantee that implementation is possible.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Sure, go for it!

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Absolutely. You mentionned that it is using Vanilla - are there more details one needs to know ? Limitations, version, and so on.

For what its worth, for those interested :

https://vanilla.higherlogic.com/customer-showcase/

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Some quick changes. Before/after:

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

The OP icon thing is a bit more involved.

Do you folks want the site to be wider in general? Right now the readable part of threads is constrained to somewhere around 934 pixels maximum. It;s dynamic though, it changes if you resize your window down smaller. At around 750 pixels the side gutters are eliminated entirely, so the thread is the full width of the window. This kind of CSS styling is a bit beyond my skills, sad to say.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I've also enabled "All Viewed" which should allow you to mark all unread posts in a section as read. However I can't find the button for this, that's now supposed to be visible?

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I wouldn't want it to be much wider, honestly. This works for me, but I'd be okay with something a little wider if there were requests for it

• Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11

Can the grey links in the main navigation be bumped up?

Edit: Basically any text that's #555 would be easier to read if it were something like #999.

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character

My vote for a wider view. I can only get the site to look right on my laptop (15 inch screen). On a desktop with a proper resolution and a widescreen monitor it's too densely packed in the (sub-)forum view and too narrow looking overall.

Another thing: is it not possible with this forum software at all to edit quoted text? So as to only quote an excerpt of a post, not the whole thing in a box that only displays a few lines in its default state.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Grey category descriptions are now brighter in forum home.

edit quoted text? 

To quote just a sentence or two you can copy/paste it and use the backwards-P control on the left to make it a quote.

But we could get a lot fancier and try the other Editor modes!

The current one is Rich2, this is what Vanilla recommends since the older modes won't be getting bug fixes. But that doesn't mean we can't use 'em if we really want to. We could enable one for a day, Wysiwyg for example, just to give it a little shakedown.

Thoughts?

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

At the moment doesn't seem I can edit my posts, upon clicking Edit?

so double posted instead too complete my thought 👍️

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

i only use a 1280px wide browser on my ultrawide monitors. so i dont care but having it centered will absolutely feel more natural to me. here i an example of my screen. not that its representative. but also on a dual screen layout i'd rather have it centered than squeezed into a corner.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey, I tested this out and it seems to work for non-admin users. Can you double-check this?

1. Go to your duplicate post.
    2. Click the Gear icon, click Edit.
    3. Change the text.
    4. Save Reply.

Works here. One important note… you cannot create an empty post, there must be at least a word there.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks Steffen I'll take a look at increasing the width, centering, and moving the OP avatar.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Cheers, should've elaborated a bit more :/

I'd inadvertently hit 'post reply' then tried adding text my to original message by then clicking the gear → Edit but no joy hence that screenshot…hmm thinking on it now maybe it's OS related throwing these glitches my-end, coz I'm using a 12yo muck around gurgleing purposes PC which still runs WIN7 Home OEM?!

Anyway, allgood the OP seemed to've resolved their issue perusing the links I shared - so from now on I'll just stick with posting stuff up using my smart phone, that thus far is without a drama :)

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666

Is it possible to get text size to be consistent between viewing and editing modes for posts? I went to update the "Upgrading or building a new PC" sticky and the text is much larger in edit mode making each line word wrap when it shouldn't need to.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I'll take a look. Gotta say, I'm not a fan of the current text editor. Latest is not always greatest!

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK switched us back to WYSIWYG post editor. 
    This gives us better, more familiar controls: 

There are still some problems:
    • editing field is super bright white and bolded.
    • can't paste an image from the clipboard.
  • FrankPolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon grand marshal polycounter
    OK switched us back to WYSIWYG post editor. 
    This gives us better, more familiar controls: 

There are still some problems:
    • editing field is super bright white and bolded.
    • can't paste an image from the clipboard.

This update seems to have broken unpublished posts? There was a sketchbook one I was slowly working on since April 10th. It's only been saved to draft on the forum and now it can't be seen, edited or saved. Shows up in drafts tab but the reply field just shows a wait symbol when mousing over it. Post button looks like it might work but don't want to bump the thread before finishing the write-up.
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    :s oh man... that fringe case rough! whoof.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @FrankPolygon let me know when you’re online. I’ll revert to the previous Rich2 editor setting, then we can retrieve your draft before switching back again to WYSIWYG.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

Is the new text box kinda buggy for anyone else? I get a loading cursor icon and can't type into it.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait how did you type this reply then??
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I had a draft queued up that I edited after posting, issue went away when I no longer had a draft. Probably just a draft related bug. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yeah, sounds like same as Frank's thing then. Not great to be killing peoples' saved drafts. :( Thankfully I can retrieve individual drafts if needed. Let me know if there are any other unanticipated problems.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Hey :) Just some things i've noticed which make the usage of the forum not as enjoyable as it could be:

1. Why is the Edit-Button hidden as ONLY entry in a sub-menu? That's not intuitive nor helpful. Why not just put "Edit" instead of the Gear-Icon?

2. GIF-Links are NOT previewed when looking at a post BUT - and this is really weird - they DO get previews when I'm in Edit-Mode?!

3. The Link-Behavior is really weird. In this gif you can see how it works...if you select the text and wanna check to which URL it is linked, the link gets removed?! And then, when clicking "OK" the links gets put in front of the text? This feels a bit unstable.

4. Editing long posts is not pleasent. I constantly scroll up/down to click the Edit-Button, click he Post-Button or reach the Buttons to add links, make text bolds, ... I think the discorse-software solves this by keeping the Toolbar always in sight and only the context of the post is scrolled (in an i-frame?).

5. Trying to edit in HTML mode is not a joy. The generated code is quite...big.. here for example, just a simple Line-break gets it's own div which blows up the code quite a lot.
    <div>Hey :)</div><div><br></div>
    p.s. #1 I just noticed, that the code does not get 100% displayed as it should. Here you see that I'm using a text smily but this should be displayed as characters in a code-block - NOT as emoji. Image (no idea why the image is not displayed directly where i inserted it...it's attached to the post though...here is a link):

p.s. #2 Under point 2 I've added a GIF which is not shown when viewing the post...but i can see it in edit more. Super weird. I don't know why it's reacts so unpredictable. Here is the link to the GIF: https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/767739005173104723/1098617404508078140/firefox_QaY1YHoVLj.gif
    p.p.s NOW the gif is suddenly displayed...no idea why.
    p.p.p.s wtf....the image disappears based on the size of my browser window?! gif: https://imgur.com/pZHGtfH

edit: All in all, just making this post felt unfortunately kind of  messy. Constant edits, scrolling up/down, wondering why things are not working as expected, ... it takes away the joy of making posts and interacting more. :(

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for this @SimonT.

re 1: There are other options in the gear icon for moderators. I hear you though, it's an annoyance. Unfortunately I can't edit this widget though.

re 2: You're hosting these GIFs yourself but you're serving from http instead of https. I asked Vanilla to allow http-served images, but they declined saying it's a security risk. Crazy, I know. I fixed this for my own site by installing a free SSL Cert in my webhost control page, so maybe that's available for you? You would still need to edit posts to replace your image URLs with https: though. As an alternative, you could just drag-n-drop the images right into your posts, then Polycount is hosting them (for free!).

re 3: Yeah unfortunate. Instead of using their crappy interface to edit an existing link... you could right-click on a link and open it in a new page, or right-click to copy the URL. You can get more control over editing if you use the </> html edit mode, if you're comfortable editing in HTML.

re 4: There is a button at top right of the editing interface "Toggle Full Page"   If you click this, the editing controls will be always visible at the top of the page. Makes editing a bit easier I think.

I wish this was better, but Vanilla Forums has said they are not fixing bugs in this old Wysiwyg editor (this one). They want everyone to move to their new Rich2 editor. We tried that, and the bugs in Rich2 are much worse! Formatting is a lot more limited. Left-aligned images bleed over the footer, no Sketchfab embed, no text colors, lots of stuff is messed up there.

We can switch back though, if this change is too horrendous. Happy to make whatever changes I can.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @spacefrog I figured out how this works! If you are inside a forum section, and click on the head-and-shoulders icon at the top, you can choose "Mark Category Viewed" or "Mark All Viewed". LMK if this works for you.

• spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    Awas
    @spacefrog I figured out how this works! If you are inside a forum section, and click on the head-and-shoulders icon at the top, you can choose "Mark Category Viewed" or "Mark All Viewed". LMK if this works for you.

Awesome !
    Thanks for your hard work Eric, everything looks so much better now already
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Something I was wondering: What is/was the reason to use this forum software instead of e.g. Discourse? Is it about pricing or more that features are missing?

Btw. something I noticed which is a detail bit annoying (and interstingly the Discord Forums suffer from the same problem): When re-placing the cursor via shortcut (ctrl+left/right) the cursor always jumps to the start of the line while it should just skip 1 word. It works like that in every text-editor or text-field in the web but not in this forum.

Example google:

Example Forum:

• SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Oh and something I just noticed: There are 3 different Font-Settings which look very different from each-other so it's hard to guess how to final post will look like.

1. Typing an answer has big nice thick font:

2. Editing an existing post has smaller thinner font but therefore HUGE vertical line-space:

3. Finally, when watching the finished post the font is even thinner than in Edit mode and it is darker but vertical line-space is more reasonable:

• SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    A general thing about the forum: As vfx/tech-artist I'm not feeling much represented because as showcase category there's only 2D/3D and "Technical Talk" does not sound like "show your finished vfx/tech art in here. So I'm always unsure if I should post something and where it should go.