Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Menadion's Desperation - A Fantasy Environment in UE5

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
mhuang97 polycounter lvl 4

Just finished my latest piece, a continuation of a previous project focusing on ruination and interior architecture. Based off of a scene from a favorite novel. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WmR5RG

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Cool project!

I think overall the ruin could use a bit more overgrowth and weathering, showing it's getting claimed by nature. Currently the stones are a bit uniformly gray. Also some assets could use some more complexity. When using primarily tiling textures and trim sheets, extruding some geometry or putting in some individual bricks can help to break up the silhouette and make them look more detailed.

Keep it up 👍️

• mhuang97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2

This looks really great.. and i don't want to be picky.. so please see this as constructive critic and you might think about this:

From a technical point of view.. : if this fortified tower has from the outside reachable supporting wood structures.. then someone would shoot a burning arrow into this.. and wait.. until it collapses.

I think they fit perfectly inside.. but the outside should have some extruded stones to make some visual apealing outline.. maybe like so:

Maybe i should also think about the my structural concept because it doesn't really support the upper ring.. maybe it doesn't even have to.. better use this only on the lower half ?? ... so just ignore my miserable attempt ;-)

• mhuang97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks for the critique! Yeah I agree that a complete stone interior might've made more sense. I was just going for something interesting that had some color/design contrast, and kind of hit a dead end on the design front.

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2

Oh.. wood interior is fine and actually historically accurate.. also for the supporting beams.. but problematic as exterior..

The inner part and the broken sealing look awesome..