Home Technical Talk

What do you want in a 3d hub?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned

I am working on creating a hub for all things 3D. An app and website where users can hop on to find and compare all the programs available so they can find the right one for them. Additionally, there will be a section dedicated to plugins and add-ons as well as a forum section where users can ask questions and discuss any problems they may be having. Is there anything that can help you the public, or something I am missing? Please let me know.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool

a forum ? something like scriptspot ?

• y4sh_j
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This is more of a one stop shop. In one tab you can scroll through a list of all available 3D programs. Maya, Houdini, Zbrush, Forger, etc. Users can compare different programs, what each one offers, what the price point is, maybe a rating system to help newcomers to the indursty find easy to use programs to help get their foot through the door. Another tab would have the forum, where people can discuss and get their questions answered. This forum would be split in a program specific way. A forum for all things maya, one for all things adobe,, and so on..

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

that's just polycount isn't it?

maybe a quicker, more robust search could be helpful? Like chatgpt, you can type in poorly worded questions and it somehow knows what the hell you are trying to say.

anything less than that, I don't see how it beats what already exist. Not going to to consolidate decades of information as a project without a massive army of people. Only thing to do is find a better way to search what is already out there.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Who would be populating all the ratings and info for this site, and how would the users know to trust their opinions?

Who would keep all the pricing data up to date?

We have a wiki page where a couple members tried to do just that, and it very quickly grew stale and out of date.

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Tools

Just that one thing is a fairly big undertaking, and would require dedicated/paid staff. You can't just try to rely on user-generated content to populate your database.