Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Locomotive

Offline / Send Message
Pinned

Hey everyone! First time posting here. I am working on this battle locomotive with train cart that generates power for the big weapon and the locomotive. This is a for an advance modeling class, and I am still working out ideas and refining shapes. I will post the progress I made so far and my reference boards to show what ideas I currently have. I would love any feedback about what's working or what's not working. Thank you!

Reference Boards:

Modeling Progress:

Replies

• CrnjGeorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Quick update on my progress!

Still going through the progress of smoothing and unwrapping parts of the model, but I am starting to apply materials in engine to feel what's working and what's not. Plan is to finish a trim sheet/atlas sheet and a few tileables with variations so I can vertex paint in unreal engine later down the line.

• CrnjGeorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

More progress!

Still going through the process of unwrapping and making a few adjustments to the geo as I go throughout the model but finally getting more materials on it and trying to find the right color balance. I'm limiting myself to a few materials, so it feels more cohesive throughout and only making slight changes to the tint or roughness.

• nexussim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nexussim polygon

Cool model! My opinion is that materials make or break a render. I feel yours is in between. There are some things I can't quite say why, but some are:

1) The texture scale. From the distance you have the objects, the materials look to large to me. From this distance they would be more ....subtle? I just looked at some real trains and besides the writing which would obviously be big, you can't really see all the patterns and noise. Unless of course you are intentionally doing stylized like a throughback to old games?

2) If this is a portfolio piece, I would definitely spend more time on the textures, perhaps adding rust or damage in areas. To me it appears that just default materials were put on each piece.

Whatever the case, keep up the great work :)