Home Career & Education

A question about a test for a 3d realistic character artist job

Offline / Send Message
Pinned

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I don't know if I'm putting it in the right place, I wanted to ask you for help because I'm very lost.

I'm doing a test for a game studio, the position is junior 3d photorealistic character artist. The problem is that they have given me some guidelines that I think are incompatible, or at least, that's very difficult to me to comply with. The concept is an asset like a viking belt with many fabric hanging and others things hanging from it. They have given me a 10k tris limitation and they indicate in the guidelines that I must add a bevel in each corner, and that what is not seen must be collapsed and the mesh closed.

I have made several versions of the retopology and, if I try to fit to all the requirements, it has more than 20k tris. If I try to adjust to the limit of triangles, I can't meet the rest, and so that the silhouette remains more or less similar, I can't get it below 12,600 tris, so it has more than 2,600 tris than they request. It's very frustrating...

For example, a coin, I had made it with about 44 triangles, with the bevel they ask for it now has 96 triangles. And it's not just one piece like that, there are many pieces like that that are in silhouette, except for screws and others things like that that I've ignored.

Taking into account that the result should be like Ghost of Tsushima for example, it seems very low poly to me, because when baking I had to go back to add more polygons.

I have thought about putting those coins, rings, etc. on planes with transparencies, but it doesn't look like AAA game to me since it would be noticeable by not having thickness. It also has many fabrics that can be seen on both sides and I think they should be thickness.

I know that's a test, and I think there must be some trick, but they did not give me a time limit, and it has been going on for several months now because I have to combine it with other work and I need to finish it now.

Do you think what they have asked me is possible? What is more important in such a test?

Sorry I don't add images but I can't show it yet.

Anyway, Sorry for my English and thank you very much in advance, I hope someone can clear my doubts about how to solve a test of this type. I was very excited about getting this job and I would like to comply 100% with what they ask of me.

Regards!

Replies