Home Technical Talk

is uv square a good idea in this case?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
orangesky polycounter lvl 3

I have this type of model that has an oval part. I have almost always textured this type of object without uv squares but I was wondering what is the correct shape if there is one.

Is it better to texture the model with the uv as provided by blender?

Or is it better to texture with the uv square pass?

Sorry for my bad english.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Start texturing it and you'll see. This 100% depends on the kind of details that will be textured on the shape.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

a usual cocnern for creating these rectangular UVs is also, will there be LODs or not? if yes, this can be highly helpful making sure things stay aligned over the various lod levels.

• orangesky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    orangesky polycounter lvl 3

Thank you very much for your answers.

As I thought, I see that there is no right way and it simply depends on the final visualization to do it in one way or another.

On the other hand, taking into account the LOD I understand that it is better to use uv square to keep the details aligned between models.

• Klunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk ngon master

if you're baking the textures keeping the relative area's correct is probably more of a concern than the actual shape (though if it's really funky and you need to hand edit it may cause issues). if it's hand created textures the squarer option may be better (though shearing may occur) but I don't think there is much in it given the two options.