Home Technical Talk

Soft for texturing ZBrush model with low minimum requirements

Hey! I'm new to 3d and can't seem to find solution to my problem. I have a model of avatar fully made in Zbrush. high and low poly with uv maps. Was planning on importing model further to Substance Painter and texturing it there as I need to paint a specific pattern right on the skin of avatar. Then realised my laptop can't handle the program and looked through alternatives. Watched a ton of tutorials, but some software requires udim maps, which cannot be made in zbrrush, other work strange with imported geometry.

Maybe someone has a suggestion on what software should I use for nice and understandable texturing? If you could also explain the process, I would be grateful

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

You first need to mention what is your main 3d software for regular scene handling/polygon modeling. Most of them have texturing tools built-in.

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

You could use Blender to bake your texture maps and to paint textures. Would be also a good program to optimize your UVs in, if necessary. Alternatively, you could bake texture maps in XNormal.

It might be good to include your system specs (what is "low minimum requirements"?).

• MSVertigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Software that i use for modeling is ZBrush, in which I already modelled this character. I know zbrush has its texturing tool, but according to my diploma, i was told to use substance painter, but my laptop has 11 GB RAM. Substance Painter minimum requirements RAM: 16GB. What other software i can use for texturing my model? May be exists good practive for create texturing for models from ZBrush?

• MSVertigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

My requirements of PC:

RAM: 11 GB

CPU: Intel Core i7

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250

Thank you for answer!

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Well the point is : before worrying about specialized painting software, you need to first get comfortable with a modeling software. As in : not Zbrush, but rather Maya/3DSMax/Blender. This is where you'll be able to properly work on your UVs, do all required edits to your base level geo, and so on. A pipeline simply cannot rely on Zbrush alone.

So first, you need to learn regular modeling, unwrapping, and so on. Let's say using Blender. This would represent a few months of studying and practice.

And then, you'll be able to use either a specialized texturing tool, or, the built-in texturing tools of Blender/Maya/Max.

As for specs : even on the most detailed CG movie ever, the texturing is done on the lightweight base level geo (before subdivision), or on a preview of the final look. Any decent computer from the last 10 years can handle that, because by nature it is all scalable. Well, unless we're talking about a raw polygon soup sculpt ... are we ?

Bottom line is, you might want to post images of your project. This would let people pinpoint accurately where you are at in terms of technical know-how, which in turn would lead to pieces of advice much more tailored to your needs.

• MSVertigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks for detailed response, really appreciate it. Got your idea, but with that project I just dont have time to model it once again from scratch. Honestly, would just like to finish this project as it is to move farward. Attaching images of my model, first one is with subdivision on, second one is on the lowest level after retopology. Each object is a different subtool with basic UVs. Do you think it will be ok to texture it in blender ?

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Heya - you're misunderstanding my point. I am not saying that anything needs to be redone from scratch - I am saying that in order to merely handle models/prepare models for texturing, you need a so-called "regular" 3d software to move UVs around and scale them according to the density you need on a given part, to split parts as needed, and so on.

For instance you might think that the model above is ready for texturing, but there are high chances that it isn't. So first of all and at the very least, you need to verify all that using a good old UV checker texture.

Now all that said, if your model does have clean UVs and is therefore ready for texturing in its current state, then nothing prevents you from working on the color pass directly in Zbrush anyways. Its painting tools arelimited and doesn't have a notion of proper materials, but it is perfectly serviceable for direct texture painting.

Overall this thread is somewhat doomed to go around in circles because you are asking one thing (software recommendations for texturing this model), even though you could have done 99% of it already in the one environment you are comfortable with. So why not do just that first ?

• MSVertigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Cause I was stupid enough to define and report a work plan in advance without understanding basic things you've told me :D I got my answers actually, thanks a lot