Home Technical Talk

What are these types of texture maps called?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
le0tard polycounter lvl 9

I've tried looking for more examples of these gradient atlas type of maps, like used in this scene: https://skfb.ly/oxyYs

But I can't describe my intentions to the google search engine, is there a commonly accepted name for these types?

Replies

• Tiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth

Back in the days this was simply called a texture atlas. Nowadays you call it a trim sheet.

• le0tard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    le0tard polycounter lvl 9

google does not like that phrase, gives all sorts of different images, none of which I am looking for.

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage

I'd also call it a texture atlas; unless we're misunderstanding what it's used for?

Looks like the texture is made first, and the meshes are unwrapped to use the texture in unique and efficient ways?

Texture atlas is the right term, if so, though usually they won't just be cool gradients like this.

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666

It's a Texture Palette Atlas, or Texture Color Atlas...or technically we could even call it a LUT (lookup table) but that wont get you the search results you're after.

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator

I just call them 'texture maps'. Color or albedo to be more specific. The gradient isn't a unique feature or requirement of the map; it's just how the artist chose to quickly 'paint' these very simple low-poly assets rather than do anything more complex with the UVs or painting.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Well, even if there was some universal way of calling these (there's none) ... what more would you get out of putting that in a web search anyways ? There's nothing special about this, one just maps various bits and pieces of a model over the desired parts of the texture and boom, done.

As a matter of fact there are artists out there using almost exclusively that kind of technique for colorful lowpoly work, without any knowledge of regular UV mapping. Which goes to show that understanding and using the technique really isn't rocket science.

Now perhaps you are looking for one of the many ways to streamline parts of the workflow involved. If that's the case then just go ahead and describe precisely what you actually need, and people will be able to help.

• gvii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gvii polycounter lvl 10

It's a bit of a late reply to this post but, I just call them Gradient Texture Sheets. They serve their purpose but yeah, there's nothing special about it. The main use they have in my case is for texturing everything using a single texture, particularly for mobile games. Texturing with them is just using a z projection for UVs and pushing and pulling UVs to shade. Here are some characters I've worked on with this method:

(Unlit Screengrabs)

There's a particular use-case with the example you provided however. Instead of having the gradient be independent, they are blending all their swatches in a row, which is interesting...

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Truly beautiful work @gvii !

• gvii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gvii polycounter lvl 10

Awww man... Thank you @pior !