Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Desert Gas Station [UE5] | WIP (Critique Welcomed)

Oliverr
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Oliverr polycounter lvl 8

Been working on this gas station environment in my spare time for a few months now. I've posted a few threads regarding this project already so I decided to make this one to condense everything. Here is my progress so far:

Originally I only wanted to model a prop for fun since I haven't worked in 3d for a good while. Stumbled across this concept on ArtStation and thought the sign looked like a fun project:

This is how my sign turned out:

My original thread about the sign: https://polycount.com/discussion/231073/gas-station-sign-critique-appreciated#latest

After the I made the sign I got inspired to tackle the rest of the concept art. However I wanted to follow it quite loosely and do a more realistic take on it. I started by doing a simple landscape in UE5 and adding a modular road:

I had a lot of issues with tiling and getting the road marking decals to mask around the cracks. However, after a lot of trial and error I got that solved:

Planning on redoing the road texture at some point, but its a okay placeholder for now. Here's my original thread about making the road: https://polycount.com/discussion/231083/uv-shell-too-large-to-fit-in-uv-map#latest

After that I got pretty busy so I decided to work on some smaller props to keep progress moving. I made a utility pole and speed limit sign prop:

I made a blueprint in UE5 using a tutorial online to make cables running between the utility poles. Here is the current state of my project:

Planning on doing the actual gas station structure next and posting all of the projects progress here!

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter

Hey, are you going for a more stylized or realistic look?

• Oliverr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oliverr polycounter lvl 8

Its been months since I've had time to work on this project but I have been able to work on it a little more and thought I'd share some progress. Since the last post I worked on the actual gas station structure. Still need to add a ton of small pieces but this is the main structure almost complete (still haven't finalized texture and just used a wood placeholder for the sign on top until I get a chance to dive into that). I used 4 4k texture sets for this structure which I'm not sure is great for performance but I was having trouble trying to fit all the UVs into less materials while maintaining a decent texel density. Once I get this asset completely finished I'll post a separate thread breaking down how I approached it.

Anyways, here are some quick screenshots I took of the gas station placed in the ue5 environment.