Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning 3D artist looking for advice and critique

Hello! I've been working on learning how to properly create models with the intent of going into a video game creation profession. At the moment I feel like I can't progress as fast as I once did just on my own, so now I'm finally biting the bullet to put my work out into the world, as lackluster as it may be.

At the moment I have two different things I've worked on. The program I'm using is Blender.

One is a totem which I have two variations for, both with their own mistakes.

The second thing I have is a bust of a spriggan based on the ones in the game Last Epoch. I at first attempted to make the entire character, but quickly felt that I was biting off far more than I could chew.

Replies

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth

Cool, these threads will help with the designing stages, take your time with the 1st one it seems pretty quick for a new person so if you just take it slow and model in all those details you might actually like it more and it will stand out more.

1shapes

2frankp <quicker to the point of it.

The character design will work the same way, you do the most with the least at first then add the sculpting, at least its how I'd try it.

Yeah, characters take a bit of getting used to, studying of the anatomy from good guides will help 1000% here is one: https://www.artstation.com/anatomy4sculptors

All the best, take your time, yes this takes a bit of time, we all want it to be less even those of us who've been doing it for double to triple digit years.

• Bolovorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master

Version 2 of the totem is in a better starting point but it's still very blobby. I would focus on getting nice clean shapes before sculpting details. In blender you can either add bevels, control loops or crease the edges.

Another trick with cracks is to use the pinch brush to taper off the start and ends.

As for the bust it's lacking dimension. What can help is positioning the model into a similar angle as the concept and moving the branches along blenders Y axis (Forwards/backwards) to try and match the contours in the concept.

Another useful method with characters is to start with very low blockouts to get the overall flow and forms roughed in.