Home Technical Talk

How do I create elastic and taut meshes?

I'm working on a DBAL-A3 IR laser and illuminator and there are a few lens covers that are in a taut or bendy position.

There are three elastic bands that I want to create, but how should I go about working on this? Aside from trying to model it awkwardly in those positions, I have no idea how to go about doing this. What do the professionals do?

Thanks.

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe veteran polycounter

Usually they move it awkwardly into those positions.

There's a number of simulation type options available but honestly they're more trouble than they're worth most of the time.

I'd recommend mucking round with a cloth sim so you're not just taking my word for it

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J veteran polycounter

Not a professional, but my go-to method for something like this is use a curve for the stretched part, then once I am happy with the position I can build out either end.

Using the curve gives you non-destructive flexibility so you can make all the tiny little tweaks until it looks believable.

But if you are working with simple geometry, you might just as well do with soft selection. I don't think using a curve here is really necessary, but if you haven't tried it, might as well give it a shot.

You may have some apprehensions because if you are used to hard surface modeling more than organic modeling you get more certainty about shapes and edges being "correct" because they line up or can easily be measured.

To get over that I'd suggest don't look too closely at the model, zoom out and maybe even take a step back from your screen and view the thing as a whole. Assuming this is a model that is used in a game or movie, try to view it the same way the viewer would. That helps to avoid wasting time with micro-details that nobody will ever notice.