Home Technical Talk

Looking to make PSX style particle effects; where do I start with Unity (or Blender!)?

If you've played a PSX game, ya'll know what I mean; those particle effects that are often used to convey things like magic, smoke, lasers, fire, sparkly stuff; examples are attached. Where do I start to make those type of particle effects in Unity?

I know about PSX style filters, as in tricks to emulate the camera jitters, resolution, and z buffering effect (lack thereof), but I'm guessing that's different from the actual particle effects in these examples, yes?

Where do I start with this sort of style using Unity's Particle System? How do I do it? I'm happy to elaborate/try to articulate better, as I'm just getting my feet wet in this!

I've read through this topic and it was super helpful! I didn't see anything about particle effects however. Thank ya'll!

Replies

• motionblur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motionblur polycounter lvl 12

Unless Unity have overhauled their particle system over the last two years you want to look into shuriken particles. They are integrated into Unity and each particle system is an own object with a particle system and renderer coponent.

A particle system consists of individual modules or funcionality that you can activate to build up your particle system effect. I'd recommend starting rough and then layering on detail, meaning: begin by timing the particles in how they look, their speed length and in which direction you want them to go. Then add things like noise or a secondary particle system on top to introduce some variation.

For the textures and materials I'd say try setting the filter to nearest so that you don't get blurred textures.

On how to use shuriken - check the manual here: https://docs.unity3d.com/410/Documentation/Components/class-ParticleSystem.html

Or search for a few tutorials on YT. The system is at least absolutely cpable to reproduce all of the above.