Home Career & Education

I like drawing geometric designs like these, what kind of job should I get?

Eever since I was very young, I liked to design things like these. I wanted to become a 3D artist but I only like drawing with a ruler. So I got a certificate from Full Sail University where I learned about Maya.

Does anyone know which software is best for this kind of art, or what kind of job should I get?

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

now that is very very specific. i have the feeling unless you build a project around that passion it will be tough to find that one job that offers this for you. not saying its impossible to work with this, check into material making with substance designer, on the right project it will need tiles or patterns like that. but really, thats a very narrow skillset

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator

You could look into UI or motion design work but that does also require overarching design and interpretation skills... Is it possible to make a career of making designs for tiles and mosaics IRL these days? lol

Or can you channel your love for rulers into perspective grids and get really into realistic/accurate 2D environment art? 🤷‍♂️ Doodling shapes with rulers is... like Neox said, a bit narrow, but if you want to find a job that lets you do it semi-regularly I think there's a few, maybe.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Yeah, very niche possibly a sub-category/profession related to graphic design?! so I'd suggest start researching there, to begin with.

Also fwiw, primary tools graphic artists utilise are mostly vector based apps and/or image editors although too my knowledge 3D software is gradually making inroads into the industry.

• 0Kelvin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0Kelvin triangle

These type of drawings relate to Arabic tapestry and Mandalas. I can't tell without experience but that seems to relate to Illustrator's jobs. It also reminds me of some ceramic tiles art.

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

drawing geometric shapes is not in of itself marketable, fringe for sure. you'll need to evolve the interest by learning to program.

+1 to making your own project that centers around geometric shapes

+1 to Substance Designer materials

+1 to UI / UX

i'd think expanding into programming visuals for video you may find your place within commercials or music videos; Max Cooper's comes to mind.

Houdini would be a valued software for procedurally generated content for game development.

AI generated content is on the rise.