Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hard Surface Blog: Sci-Fi Processing Station

mpuLse
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
mpuLse polycounter lvl 3

Hey PC!

This is my little 3D Blog / Progress thread on my current portfolio project I wanted to share with all of you.

small pre-cursor: (Skip if you don't care about back stories / starting ideas for a project)

I've been on a quest as of late to increase and refine my modelling skills, after a couple years ago of being super... super humbled by the likes of the legendary Paul Pepera, and people like Connor McCampbell. After seeing work from these super talented folk, I was inspired to make something, that would hopefully do them justice in some respect. My rabbit hole of research on Astroneer (One of my favourite games of all time) led me to learn all about him and Adam, and was a gratifying awakening to how much I could increase my skill sets in modelling. Coming from a Maya/ Zbrush background of 6 years, I begun to slowly feel limited in my creativity when modelling in Maya, and found myself relying on Zbrush way too much at times to explore my designs and conceptions. Hard surface, is hard ass work and I begun to realize you need all the tools / versatility at your disposal to soften the blow. I needed to find a way to level up. :P

This is what got me started on researching the people before us. I thought, "I need to look to those who've come before me who've done it better than I could ever do now in the present." You know, imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all... and a great way to learn. All while working a separate job that was Maya based.. I began slowly researching, and trying to transition to 3DS late last year (round October-ish). To see what the fuss was all about. I found 3DS has a lot of aids to make hard surface easier in some respects, I found that conclusively in some aspects it felt clunky, but the level of control over your meshes.. Is fantastic, and love modelling / designing in 3DS max. It's sort of like sketching in 3D due to the modifiers. I believe art should be as non destructive as possible cause it helps get your roots laid down so to speak. I realized ultimately, it doesn't matter.. what DCC you pick to use, but you need to find what makes you most comfortable that matters most. For me currently that is max. But who knows that may change in the future.

I'm now in full production mode, and soon to be wrapping up the modelling. Although with a new job opp on the horizon, it may be slowing down a little here and there. There are some small things still yet to be finished and touch ups, but I've already begun transferring everything in UE5, where I plan to make this a full game ready environment with ray-traced lighting.

Then I got the idea to come here and blog the progress and share it with all of you guys! Share the journey with others as I push the ball forward on this little idea I had. The idea, is a SciFi Ore Processing / Hazardous Material Processing Station. You know.. the sciency unexplained futuristic processing nerdy stuff! haha

I was thinking of posting the starting block-outs from the screenshots I took when I first begun this piece, right from the start to now. I'm not sure how many of you would be interested or benefit from that, but if it's something anyone would like to see I can do that. :)

Criticism is always welcome, and I'll take it into consideration as I chisel away.

Cheers, and thanks for reading if ya did!

Matt

Replies

• mpuLse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mpuLse polycounter lvl 3

Couple block out shots and concepts for the maintenance vehicle's arm head piece:

• mpuLse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mpuLse polycounter lvl 3

Was prepping lowp's for the main Delivery Ship, when I realized I wanted something a little extra for the hoses / pipes in the cut out areas, adn break up the bigger shapes

Started concepting :

Settled so far on this. Liking the coily tops. Sort of like a service panel on the outside hoses as well.

• mpuLse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mpuLse polycounter lvl 3
  • mpuLse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mpuLse polycounter lvl 3

Little bit of light exploration with Blender Cycles X. Accidentally put a bit too much of a contrast curve on the render :X

• mpuLse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mpuLse polycounter lvl 3

Finishing up designs on the fuel hoses - At least that's what I think they are lol - refining and trying to make sure there is interesting shape language but functional.

• mpuLse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mpuLse polycounter lvl 3

Corrected the lighting for my preview lighting tests. The light bounces are gonna be fun in UE5 lol

• mpuLse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mpuLse polycounter lvl 3

Another render then resuming optimizing meshes for UE5.

• mpuLse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mpuLse polycounter lvl 3
  • mpuLse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mpuLse polycounter lvl 3

Decided there was still more modelling to do, to add some extra functionality to the environment to promote more 'believability'

• mpuLse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mpuLse polycounter lvl 3

3 min light setup with Arnold in 3ds max. Plus more modelling additions.

P.s - This environment has unfortunately been put on hold due to other commitments.. I plan to get back to it when I can.

• mpuLse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mpuLse polycounter lvl 3
    Finally got some more time to keep adding to this and finish this up.  After not looking at it for a while I realized it still needed some more detailing here and there. Also changed the main camera perspective for something with a little more exciting composition. Floor now has a more 'sci-fi' appeal as it curves into the background with a more layered grated look. Still fixing that up from the proxy cuts I did but it looks to be coming along quite nicely.

Some other little details to be added here and there but, otherwise low polying / UVing and texturing is to begin, but not sure if I want to go for the environment first or perhaps begin with the delivery ship in the middle and considering showcasing that first as a separate asset. Then display it also in this environment. All in all looking forward to getting the rest of it into unreal 5, and start fleshing out what the final mood and ambience will look like for the lighting.

• mpuLse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mpuLse polycounter lvl 3
    The other thing I will be considering is also doing a 'walk' through with a slow camera from the ground level as this station is quite big.. to really give that 'awe' inspiring you're tiny, and station gigantic.
  • mpuLse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mpuLse polycounter lvl 3
    Started detailing the space fabric for the arm on the Utility Space Vehicle that is collecting the payload from the delivery vehicle hatch. I nick named it the 'Froge'.. cause from a head on view, it definitely looks like a frog lol. It's looking fairly accurate to reference but the details / contours need to be increased / more severe, so it can match the reference better.

More detailing was added to the docking ring to further break up the bigger shapes that could use it. Came up with this unique idea for some sort of pod / punched hole inset idea, for some sort of power / stabilization? 'Sci-fi Shtuff'

Finally, a last minute render to see how everything is shaping up. Really liking how it's coming a long so far. Getting closer to finishing up the lowpoly's and prepare for lighting and texture setup in Unreal 5.

• mpuLse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mpuLse polycounter lvl 3
    First test lighting in unreal 5 with Lumen ( although love the outcome overall, it is most certainly not game ready.) It is very taxing.

and then here is GPU Lightmass, (a lot of pieces in the environment do not have their final lowpoly's added yet, so there is artifacting in a lot of areas. But mainly getting these locked in first for the lighting before the colours get added via materials and roughness / metalness is added.) I like to treat the lighting procedure like a painting, and getting my greyscale lighting values lookin good before adding the materials. I find it really helps dial things in.

Overall, not entirely sure which route I want to go, but I think I am leaning towards GPU lightmass for the overall finished look. Then perhaps switching it over to lumen and releasing a version of it with Lumen as well. Just for contrast's sake. Classic baking workflow obviously takes longer, but it's also the more efficient route, for an actual 'game ready, 100fps+ environment'

Loving the look so far though.