Home Career & Education

Tips on how to study effectively - the topic that never dies

Hi to you people of polycount. I am a novice 3D artist, and I am 27 years old (a bit old) . I recently came out of a 3D graphics school, let's say 6 months ago, and I spent this time deciding how to use what I learned. Apart from several unfinished character attempts, I finished two rooms, rendered with 3dsmax and vray, and a mantis made in zbrush and rendered with photoshop. But I didn't have a specific goal in mind, and I was looking for something that I could like in the long term.

I haven't even studied with the right mindset these months. my study method has always been a bit unsuccessful and not very organized. Like "do it until it gets into your head", and I ended up losing concentration.

Following all this ordeal, I'd like to ask you some questions. Perhaps from your experience you will be able to advise me what is the right method of approach.

First of all, the style. I started with realism at school, and I also did a bit of stylized, but just for the sake of the exercise at the time . I've been doing a lot of tests these months regarding this. There are some styles I'd like to imitate, but I don't know how to get there. i like too much blizzard and riot art styles . I grew up with lol and wow , and I always found them really intriguing.

Where could I look on internet for modeling techniques? And what is usually used for hand-painted texturing? photoshop? substance or 3D coat?

The second thing is the study method. I've never prepared a precise one. What routines do you follow during the week? Do you wake up early? do you do 8 hours of study? half an hour and then 5 minutes of rest. In case you do a temporary job, how do you move? Or how do you divide your weeks to study a specific thing? I'd like to hear how you approach studying :)

Last request. Is it better that I focus solely on gain enough experience before sending a portfolio, or should i consider to start with an entry level profession? I have read that some guys have started out as QA game testers and then attempted to move towards a more respectable position.

Replies

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth

27 isn't old. I'll just start with that. 🤣

Sounds like what you need to do is start specializing. What part(s) of the 3D craft do you enjoy the most?

I can't advise on 'study technique', but in my opinion you're overthinking it. Theory in 3D is worse than useless without practice, especially if you're learning this from the net - there's a great deal of outdated 'techniques' and 'tricks' out there that can lead newbies in bad directions.

So, make things (or light, or animate - whatever your jam is). Finish things. Post your work on polycount for feedback. Rinse and repeat. When you have specific problems, you can ask specific questions.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range

Specifically in regards to taking down notes, you're gonna want to keep either a physical or digital notebook, like Evernote or Microsoft OneNote.

You're not gonna remember all the information on your own over the course of years. Make your life easier by keeping a personal "wiki" you can reference back to.