Home Technical Talk

Arnorld render in Maya is black - urgent!

Alexis MR
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Alexis MR polycounter lvl 6

Hi everyone, I have this problem: I recently installed the last Maya version, it seemed to be working fine but when I wanted to render my project Arnold render was black. I was a Maya user some years ago, I have never used Arnold but I know the basics of rendering. I have cheked the "show AOVs" box, which worked for some other users, but not for me. Maya software and hardware renders are working fine.

I'm going to install another version of Maya on the laptop and try to get this proyect out somehow. I need to get this working ASAP. Thank you!

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666

How bright are your lights. Arnold need super bright lights. Try a crazy number like 1million.

• Alexis MR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexis MR polycounter lvl 6

Thanks a lot for your reply. I was trying to use area light and you seem to be more or less correct, but I was using really crazy numbers and I only saw a white siluete. I watched tutorials and they stayed in numbers like 1-10, so there is something wrong here. In an different version I saw a guy changing decay from qua-something to the other option, but I couldn't find it in Maya 2020 : the change was from almost pitch black to an illuminated scene with normal values, so maybe it's something related to that.

Today I was able to use the skydome without problems, I'd like to use the are lights too though.

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666

Its a combination of two values. Intensity and Exposure.

I go with a light intensity of 500 and do increase the exposure step by step until i get a soft light. Than i go back and play with intensity.