Home General Discussion

changin careers

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666

made you look - I seem to have transmogrified in to an environment artist these days :)

i started off an an enviroment guy back in 2002 and now have come full circle. quite enjoy, though

I still pimp myself as a 3d generalist - I just got sick of all those 'meta humans' - no fun any more,

doing environments can be quite creative and fun

Lot to learn still :)

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool

pls make nakatomi plaza with all its floors and layout !!! including broken glass and bloodstain feet marks !

• Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

man yeah, you know what polycount expects to see from you now :)

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter

Yea bit of flexibility is healthy I guess.

I'm still pretending I'm a technical artist and nobody noticed yet .. 🤫

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666

@Joao Sapiro - then I will have to finish off my Bruce Willis model and that will take at least another 30 years :)

@Neox - I should n't really post after getting drunk on red wine

@rollin - yeah i feel I am a bit of a pretend Env artist, but I do quite enjoy some aspects of it.I just dosn't know all the ins and outs

just yet, but pretty much have covered trim sheets and lightmapping in Unity ( which can be a pain)

I am currently using the xnormal plugin in pshop , but should really give substance a try also

I am really more interested in VR these days

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Nice, also don't forget to drop a few tips here-n-there...

cos I wanna cross over too & will need a bit of handhold'n with this stuff :D

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter

Welcome to the environment artist club. The character artists don't know, but we environment people got a secret clubhouse with split screen Perfect Dark and Golden Eye, plus our moms bring us snacks.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666

@sacboi - Once I am sure the way i am approaching it is correct, then I will be sure to pass over any tips

so many different ways to do things though - bit overhhwlening at times. will have to watch some more tutorials for the tech side of it

@Ashervisalis lol yeah that sounds like the grass is greener over there :)

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter

Speaking of the "MetaHuman" trend. Currently I have roughly 4 realistic human character projects in plans/works, but I have started to think about switching completelt to more stylized characters in near future.

I feel like realism is achieved with heavy proceduralism and scanning in these days, so making an own realistic character project feels like a waste of time... except for studying anatomy though. With stylized stuff, you can put more of your personality into your work, rather than copying reality.

I'm kind of "changing the direction of my career" as well.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

Environment art is harder, run away !!

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666

yeah its quite tricky, but I am quite enjoying it. i still have to figure out a lot of it, but I have time on my side :)

I was looking through my folio for the last ten years and with the exception of the 'King of crabs' stuff i did, none of it make me feel good.

but making a little building or car makes me feel good, simple as that.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666

grr that word 'meta' is everywhere , bloody annoying trend