Home Technical Talk

Need help with texture mapping/ normal maps and getting a specific look for my model!

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Pinemmapple polycounter lvl 3

(Update)

Hi! So I am trying to get this hair look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VcstS95hJI (Can skip to 3 mins)

So I've looked into it further, you are right it's not a normal map. It looks like an Albedo and mixed map giving the hair the shading + an unrelated normal map.

The top one is the albedo map and the bottom one is the "Mix" map which I think plugs into specularity. (I am looking at the textures of the models) But I don't know how to make it!

How would I make the bottom map?

Please help. Thanks!

Replies

• Mink
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5

Looks like anisotropy or roughness maps. I know UE4 has a flow-map fed anisotropy shader for its hair model. Go with that. There definitely is not a normal map on that hair, and if there is, it doesn't look like much because the lighting is so limited & simple. In short, explore & exploit hair shaders. When you start talking about game engine work things stop to be as simple as basic texture authoring.

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

How to Create Realistic Hair, Peach Fuzz, and Eyes | Marmoset

This is overkill compared to your example but the basic shader setup will describe what you need. Like mentioned i think there isn't anything fancy, just anisotropic reflections in the shader and maybe a subtle fresnel effect?

• Mink
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5

The bottom map appears to define a world-space normal vector, that is not used as a normal map, but "compared" against the viewing angle normal in the shader to determine how visible the top map's influence is on the model. As to HOW to make it, well, that's for you to figure out.