Home Career & Education

Coming from an Archviz background and trying to land a job on a Videogame studio

Offline / Send Message
Pinned

Hey guys, It's my first post here, so sorry if perhaps this is in the wrong section or inflict any rules.

So, I'm a 3D artist (27yo) working for roughly 3/4 years in the archviz industry. I've been doing a lot of things from modeling to texturing, rendering and post-production.

I have a full-time job doing it but my dream was always to become a 3D artist in the games industry and focus on environment, props and texturing. I've been working everyday after work to learn the videogames pipeline and I'm now ready to start sending some applications.

I know that I have some quality Archviz work on my portfolio, but is it really worth showing it, since this field lacks the optimization pipeline used in videogames?

Also, if it isn't asking too much, can you please review and give some feedback on my portfolio? I know almost no one that works on 3D besides Archviz and it's been tough to get some insights.

Thanks and here's the link to my artstation:

https://www.artstation.com/andereberna

Replies

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth

Hello, I too transitioned from archviz to game dev (albeit at an older age) 😊

Your archviz stuff is nice - I'd keep it up there. It would be great to see breakdown shots for some of that, though I imagine you're limited in what you can show for contractual reasons. While its not the same pipeline, it does demonstrate artistic ability and professional practice.

Your prop work isn't quite there yet, IMO. I like the Torii, but the Toro needs more love. By the sounds of it you're working on an unreal scene - I would get that finished and on your portfolio before you go job hunting. Probably also a good opportunity to leverage skills you've picked up in archviz like lighting and composition.

Materials are nice, but unless you specifically land a material artist position you're probably not going to be doing much Designer work at the junior level.

Good luck!

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

"Your prop work isn't quite there yet, IMO. I like the Torii, but the Toro needs more love. By the sounds of it you're working on an unreal scene - I would get that finished and on your portfolio before you go job hunting. Probably also a good opportunity to leverage skills you've picked up in archviz like lighting and composition."

This!

And if you've an interest in gaining realtime pipeline/workflow info, especially enviro art I'd recommend checking out Tim Simpson's work, tons of gems in there particularly his AS challenge WIP plus post mortem:

https://www.artstation.com/pixelmasher/blog

• andereberna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Great stuff, I'll definitely check it out! The Trim sheets tutorial got my eye, It's really something that I'll learn.

Thanks both of you!

I'm going to work a little bit more on the props and get the environment done. 💪

• andereberna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks for the tips, guys! My environment is almost complete!

The Japanese scene from Tim Simpson's really inspired me to compose this one!

Next I'm going to "give some more love" to the props that I have and start another environment where I can make use of Trim Sheets!