Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

How do you know? (also critique pls)

node

Hi, a new member here! ^_^

As a self-taught 3D artist, how do you know you're good enough to start looking for work either freelance or as a junior in the industry?

It's a question that's been bothering me for a while, so I would hugely appreciate any pointers in that direction, and some practical advice on how to improve. After all, there's a big difference between what a beginner like me thinks is alright and what a seasoned professional would find acceptable 😅

Here are some of my works, all constructive criticism is more than welcome!!

Replies

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

People respond best to images inserted in the post and don't normally follow links.

• OhWhy_art

Thank you for you comment, @kanga!

I'm new to forums in general, so I thought if I pressed 'upload image' everything would magically work out 😁 Actually, I have no idea how to insert images properly - tried copy/pasting and couldn't save the post, because the body was too long, although I'm pretty sure I've seen longer posts here. Is there some trick I can use?

I have an Artstation profile if that's any better: https://www.artstation.com/ohwhy_art/albums/4876060

Still a link though...

Cheers

• hwaminjung
    Offline / Send Message
    hwaminjung polycounter lvl 2

Hello there!

I had a look through your Artstation. I think the main thing you can work on is textures, and creating simpler, high quality models.

Do you bake high poly sculpts to a lower poly mesh? That let you keep a lot of high quality detail while remaining very "efficient". A program like Zbrush could be useful, but you maybe able to get away with simply subdividing a mesh, depending on the object.

I am looking at the latest work you have made, the Marble Arch asset, and unfortunately the topology isnt that great. The biggest thing I can say without getting into too much detail is it is bad practice to have "n-gons" in your mesh. That is anything that isnt a triangle or a quad.

Going back to the point about creating simple assets. Try to find a simple object in real life, but really try and be accurate. It could be a mug or a bottle, really anything can do, then you could try something with 2 materials on the object, like a metal frying pan with a plastic handle. I think that would be the fastest way to create assets/portfolio pieces for the purpose of being hired by somebody.

• OhWhy_art

Thanks @hwaminjung! I really appreciate your pointing this stuff out, especially about n-gons. I kinda already knew that but the net is full of conflicting advice on this topic, some people say n-gons are fine, some think they're the devil 😂 I will try to be more accurate and less sloppy in the future and follow your advice about making simpler assets. Answering your question - yes, I do bake textures and use Substance for some additional detailing.

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Subjective or indeed a solely objectively offered perspective, can be a challenge to sort through particularly for those intent on refining their individual processes generating 3D content whilst progressing toward achieving regardless of the chosen art style, a recognizable industry standard.

So really my only recommendation is in choosing what you're most passionate about creating, then deep dive into what people already working professionally are doing.

These days online there's plenty of choice, whether learning hubs such as - gumroad, udemy, digital tutors and/or cubebrush...etc.

Edit: Also, check out PCs wiki and the Careers resource package, stickied over on the EDU section for further insight, as well:

https://polycount.com/discussion/181999/game-industry-career-resources#latest

• OhWhy_art

Hi @sacboi and thanks!

Yeah, I've been buried in in the education/career resources section for what feels like a week at least. What strikes me is that a lot of the discussion there centers on what got people hired at their first job, like portfolios and such. Now, having done modelling and texturing for less than half a year I have no illusions about getting hired with my current skill set. But I was wondering if there are landmarks other self-taught 3D artists observed in their progress to say "Hell yeah, I'm confident in what I'm doing!" 😃 Because I think that, like in any other job, confidence and professionalism is what gets people hired in the end.

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

"I was wondering if there are landmarks other self-taught 3D artists observed in their progress to say "Hell yeah, I'm confident in what I'm doing!""

Essentially for myself, peer review via critique on on personal stuff I'd made.

Had basically learnt too park ones ego at the door alongside receiving feedback irrespective of content, graciously 🤞

• OhWhy_art

Makes sense, all sort of feedback is valuable, as long as it's constructive 👍️ I guess I'll just concentrate on putting out more stuff and minding my quads 😂

Thank you!