Home Career & Education

Reference letter - how relevant is it?

insane polycounter
Online / Send Message
Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hi!

What are your thoughts about reference/recommendation letters as 3D/2D artist?

• When quitting a 3D job after some years, should one ask for one?
  • How much relevancy does it have today? If you are involved in hiring, how much value do you give it?
  • Is it accepted/common to provide the employer/client with a pre written letter? How long should it be and how specific?
  • Can you recommend any good resources or examples for reference letters (specific to 3D artists)?

I recently tried writing a reference letter and noticed that it's hard for me to put this experience in a short good to read form. Would love to hear your experiences and thoughts! Thanks 🙂

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

no harm in asking

policy on references can depend on the organisation you're leaving - I used to work at a first party studio and we weren't allowed to give formal references ourselves - instead the company had an official process/form letter that was sent out on request.

in less formal environments usually it's good form to ask someone if they're willing to give you a reference and if they say yes you can simply add their contact email to your application so your new employer can make contact if necessary

short answer - no need for a prewritten one in my experience

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

During an application process for a position outside of the CGI entertainment industry, its' common practice to provide CV- Resume' referee/s to support ones initial submission, in fact mandatory to do so where I live.

Now, I've not worked within a 3D production setting but a friend related his recent experience, even though less than conventional 'word-of-mouth' route was taken however, there's still the usual follow up queries over zoom which eventually for him proved successful.

So yeah, wouldn't hurt too ask, imo.

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Thanks for your replies 👍️

Update:

Getting the reference letter was no issue. I was asked to hand in a description of my typical tasks, which was adopted for the most part. Other than that the document contained information about the company and project and myself as a employee/coworker.

The document proved to be a useful testimony, when I applied for a start-up grant (successfully, yay). So it really didn't hurt, especially when having to prove ones competence to people outside of the industry.