Home Career & Education

will concept art and 3d art blend in as one job position in the future ?

focus_method
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 4
hi,

for example, how much of use is for some aspiring 3d artist who wants to break in the industry making 3d models based on somebodies 2d sketches?
how much is a potential candidate employable in other words?
also 3d hard surface vs 3d organic characters ? your opinion on that ?

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    With each technological advancement bringing in more levels of detail, the gap between the two postions is increasing, not decreasing. And since the time it takes to create 3D assets for modern pipelines increases year after year, modelers have less and less opportunities to flex their design muscles, outside of perhaps pre-production.

A modeler+texture artist working on WoW might have the time and skills do design an armor set and craft it as well, over the span of say two weeks-ish. Yet a character skin for a modern shooter involves a concept artist doing a full design sheet, a modeler spending days/weeks doing the high, sometimes another modeler doing the low, and sometimes a dedicated texture artist even. 

Outside of some very, very specific and unique scenarios, getting the same person to do all that would be a tremendous waste of time and ressources. The fact that some tools are shared between the two positions doesn't change anything.

(Also ... I feel like the question in your thread title is almost completely unrelated to the content of your post. What do you actually want to know, if I may ask ?)
  • focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    focus_method polycounter lvl 4
    i want to know is it better if i concept 3d or make a 3d model based on another's artist 2d concept.

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    It's better to make a 3D model based on some other artist's concept unless you're a concept artist yourself. If you want a job as a 3D artist of some kind in production and not as a concept artist, then you want to get good at modeling not concept art. And that involves having a good point of reference. The benefit of not having to learn two skills at once can't be understated, and you will be working off of another artists work for the foreseeable future in most cases-- knowing you can match work that is not your own can be invaluable esp if you're not doing realistic work.