Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Samurai Horse Armor

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Mr_Nova polycounter lvl 4

Artstation Link: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YKe2Rd

I've been working on some modular horse armor for the Shokuho Mod, A total conversion mod set in Feudal Japan for the game Mount & Blade: Bannerlord. This was a really cool experience finally trying my hand at some armor pieces and taking everything I've been learning and pulling it all together.

Tried a few different ways of displaying my work. Also.... man, ever sense rendering a few of my past projects in Marmoset Toolbag 3 (Finished this just in time to upgrade, Ha!) I can't really think of going back to Blender for rendering. I sculpted the mask in ZBrush, Modeled everything else in Blender and then brought everything into Marmoset for baking AO, Curve, and Normal Maps.

Texturing was then followed up in Substance Painter.

*Note: I understand the texture resolution of my maps isn't really common in game engines and I would agree, I normally do 2048x2048. However, because I'm working with a team for the mod they set the preferred resolution to be 4096x4096. That said, if it's needed everything gets sized down, Plus I manually set up my LOD's In Blender and then all of that is ported into the game engine. (I don't call the shots, I just make art man.)

I do work with a research team, because the mod is based in Feudal Japan we are aiming for accuracy with the art in models (which can be hard to do sometimes, and though my work may not be 100% spot on I do try to have a good set of references to follow.) Sorry for the scaled down images, this was in Pure Ref and I can just zoom in for anything in particular I want to look into.

Replies