Home Technical Talk

How do you bake a complex model from high polygon to low polygon in Substance Painter?

Naoto
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Naoto polycounter lvl 2
I'm trying for the first time to bake a high-polygon model onto a low-polygon model in Substance Painter, and it's not working at all.

I've tried all the Max Frontal Distance and Max Rear Distance patterns, and they don't reflect the shape of the high polygon model at all, or conversely, they reflect the shape of unrelated areas.
Also, even if I set Max Frontal Distance and Max Rear Distance to 1, some shapes are not reflected.

The reason for this is that the low-polygon model is smoothed and used as the high-polygon model, so the low-polygon model and the high-polygon model overlap too intricately, or the shapes of the low-polygon and high-polygon are too far apart, as shown in the image.

Is this the only way to recreate the low polygon model?
Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue successfully.
Images 1 and 2: Comparison of low-polygon and high-polygon shapes.
Images 3, 4, and 5: Overlap of low and high polygon shapes. (The high polygon is selected.)

If there is any other information or images that I should give, please let me know.

Replies

• fmorera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmorera polycounter lvl 3
    Hi @Naoto, I might say it's working fine but you're missing the point of baking.
    I mean, when you are baking a high poly model on to a low poly model you are transferring surface detail to it.
    You have a good model you can subdivide/smooth, made of quads, ready to project but you still need the low poly version.
    Your low poly should have the minimum poly to represent the shape at the minimum distance it's going to be watched.
    If your book it's not going to be deformed there's no need to keep all quads.
    If it's going to stay closed it can be just one object.
    So I would recommend you to start with your actual low poly, make a copy and delete all the geometry that doesn't affect the shape at a certain distance (i.e. the ornaments, the lip in image 3...). Then try to bake on to that low poly and you'll see that it's working
  • Naoto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naoto polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.
    One question, for an object made from a cylinder like the one in image 3, should I not change the number of Subdivision Axis for high-poly and low-poly?

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    yes, your low poly shouldn't have nearly as much segments as your highpoly. That could be maybe a 16-32 sided cylinder for instance (but with much more on the lip of the cylinder, like 48-64 since its quite large in diameter)