Home Technical Talk

Question about Arnold PNG export

N3db
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
N3db polycounter lvl 2
I have a question, hopefully someone can help me, how I can export as PNG a final render using Arnold without seeing the ground and the shadow can be used under any surface, with white surface it seems integrated the png exported from maya but with dark surface the shadow seems grayish as a stain as I can do to have a transparent shadow that can be used on any background, that does not do this

I want it to look integrated into any surface and not look gray like in the first image

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Use EXR for final export.
    PNG isnt the right format.
  • N3db
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N3db polycounter lvl 2
    Hello thanks for replying, I save it as .exr but that light keeps appearing all over the shore and the shadow is white, which I can do what kind of material I use for the infinite background or as I do to make the shadow look good
  • N3db
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N3db polycounter lvl 2
    those lines and that white shadow as I can do to make it shadow used on any surface

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You should be rendering passes separately if you want to composite stuff together after. 

Have a look through the instructions
  • N3db
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N3db polycounter lvl 2
    hello

where i can find a good tutorial for this? im trying even with separates AOV something i'm doing wrong 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    I haven't used Arnold  for years   and  forgot everything about it already.     But to render just a beauty de-noised  pass with such a shadow  requires a  black background, not white, in the actual rendered picture   and  having the actual background  still  reflecting  in your object material .

Usually all renderers have a way  to do so one way or another .    Sometimes it's called  render layers .   Sometimes  ray miss/switch  shader ,   shadow catch material, etc .    Sometimes it's  special AOV   you construct in a shader node editor that output only  objects  you need  on a black background  and the shadow in a separate shadow only AOV.
    I don't remember Arnold exact way but usually it's even a few different approaches.

I recall Mental ray had just special shader for backgrounds to do so , perhaps Arnold have something quick and simple too.

Once you have your thing rendered against the black background  you can put  the alpha over with "divide" blending in Photoshop 32 bit mode or just have "un-premultiplied" output checked in   in your soft.   

ps.  for your already rendered picture  I would try  just to multiply alpha of the backed (without shadow) over .   You could  get it from cryptomatte AOV  and Photoshop free  exr-io  plugin.