Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique on my artwork

Hello, this is my first ever render done in Maya 2020 (Vray renderer). I've applied just smart materials, there are 3 separate texture sets. My first question is, can this render be enough of a quality to be published on Artstation, and to send as a portfolio for a studio i want to apply. Also, i am aware that the materials are too basic, and that i need to work on them, bear in mind i just wanted to finish the render. 

Replies

• teodar23
    Online / Send Message
    teodar23 polycounter
    *Trying to not sound sarcastic here*
    You can post it and send it anywhere but the quality is not there. Maybe, if its an indie studio that does low poly minimalist art then you might have a chance. But its just one asset. Its better to have a portfolio with a few assets.
    You seem to be aware of the low quality of the materials but still you think that it might catch some eyes...
    The modeling is passable if you want to use this in a top-down or isometric game where the camera is far away from the model.
    I strongly suggest looking at some tutorials (ex chamferzone's gun tut) before even considering applying for a job.
  • axer
    Yes, im fully aware that its shitty looking, as i said, this is just my render practice, the goal was to achieve a render using Vray, thats why i added only the smart materials. Now i can focus more on adding additional details on every part.
  • Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    axer said:

can this render be enough of a quality to be published on Artstation, and to send as a portfolio for a studio i want to apply.
    I would say that its not, what is the purpose of this model?
  • axer
    The purpose was to achieve my first ever render using Vray. I will redo the textures for the ak, and add additional details, and will post my progress here.
  • Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d polycounter
    I guess a piece of advice that would be a drop in the bucket here is to not render your assets with offline rendering (vray, iray, arnold, cycles, etc). Doesn't give an accurate representation and visualization of how your asset would look in a realtime renderer/game engine.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi polycount lvl 666
    axer said:
    The purpose was to achieve my first ever render using Vray. I will redo the textures for the ak, and add additional details, and will post my progress here.
    Intrigued!...I'll keep an eye out.
  • axer
    Kanni3d, thanx a lot man! The thought to do my renders real time never crossed my mind up until now. I will do that for sure!!
    Sacboi, thanks for the support, im finishing up another model, and once im done with that one, im picking up where i left off with the AK! 

• axer

Sooooo... here is the newest project i've done. It's an Mycenae Armor circa 1400 BC. I've stylized it a 'lil bit', but pretty much its historicaly accurate. Whatcha think bout dis son?