Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique - Organization and Consistency

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
VanessaCeline polycounter lvl 3
I am wondering about how to improve my portfolio in order to have more consistency, increase exposure, and make things easier for recruiters. 

What is better for environment artists, 1 post with the whole environment and all assets, or 2 posts with the environment separate and the assets separate? Are there any other suggestions for how I could organize and present things better? 

I also make separate props and materials sometimes so consistency is a bit hard. I decided to make full screen shots of materials in order to keep the square format and have thumbnails more consistent with environments. No idea what to do with the props though, I could try to make small scenes for them from now on as well, but with some old ones I can't do that anymore, especially the ones that were made for companies or freelancing. 

If having the whole project in one post is better, then the image bellow is how I was thinking to group things. The double highlighted images would be the thumbnails, for some I might make new thumbnails. 

Here's a link to my portfolio, any tips are welcome: https://www.artstation.com/psyph

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    First thing is your portfolio should make it clear what you do and what types of jobs you are looking for. Having characters, materials, props, etc, makes it a big ambiguous what your specialty is, what type of work you're looking for.

For environment artists, I feel like hero props that are detailed and interesting can get their own thumbnail, but generic props should really be part of a bigger environment, or at least a little diorama/corner scene. 
  • VanessaCeline
    Offline / Send Message
    VanessaCeline polycounter lvl 3

Oh hello, I've never seen any reply on this post, sorry about that !

More and more courses and videos on portfolios appeared in the meantime, I agree with the last point and I did clean up my portfolio these weeks, to have less and cleaner posts. I find that a lot of people say materials and props also work well for environment art, but preferably they would be in a full post with the environment, together with the complete breakdown, unless, as you said, there is a hero prop that deserves it's own post.

The specialty is still a bit weird to figure out. I like going from thing to thing and experiment, with themes, art styles, techniques. I just find joy in that so sticking to one thing has always been werid to me. That's why environment art was mostly my go to choice, because i can mix a bit of everything.

For characters, if i really feel like making one in the future, which happens on more rare occasions, I could add them in the environments, and only make a shorter presentation for them. Like 1-2 pictures within the post max, probably a turntable view from each side or something. How do you feel about that?

I personally think I could combine a lot of specialties within environment art for the portfolio, as long as they are in environment posts, hmm.

This is how my portfolio looks right now. Planning to post a few more things that i worked on soon: