Home Adobe Substance

PBR Lens texturing advice

node
Offline / Send Message
cmdrDsig node
Hey ! 

I'm currently texturing a vehicle on which a military thermal camera is mounted, and I'm having difficulties figuring out how to texture the lens of that camera. I tried reading about that specific camera, but couldn't find the details about materials used... so I'm basically eye-balling it.

I've got everything pretty much setup how I want, but I can't reach the same reflection that my references suggest. The only way to achieve it is to turn metallic up, but does that make any sense ? 

With metallic 

Without metallic

I would gladly take any advice, help or suggestions ! Thanks alot :)

(Here's the camera used as reference)

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You'll be needing a special shader - it's impossible to recreate that effect using the basic metallic roughness approach

Or you can just make it metallic and paint the colours into the basecolor as a hack - which is what I'd advise in  most cases
  • cmdrDsig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmdrDsig node
    poopipe said:
    You'll be needing a special shader - it's impossible to recreate that effect using the basic metallic roughness approach

Or you can just make it metallic and paint the colours into the basecolor as a hack - which is what I'd advise in  most cases
    That's what I figured, I'll keep it simple by making it metallic.. Can't really afford a shader for that specific part in this project. Thanks for your input :)